Asphalt 7 .pvrtc4.tga and .tga files format (Windows UWP)

Idkbuster40
Go to solution Solved by piken,

I need help in previewing the .pvtrc4.tga and .tga files in Asphalt 7.

Some textures can be directly opened in Paint.NET and PVRTexTool. While a couple need to be extracted to view it. I have used Paint.NET for 2 years now but I just downloaded the PVRTexTool format yesterday.

the .pvtrc4.tga files cannot be opened, and I need help in figuring out why. 

txt_nitro_boost01.tga can be viewed in an image editor like Paint.NET but alps_area1.tga does not open.

BuyFullGame_atlas2_high.tga can be extracted using 7zip and the files inside of it can be viewed in PVRTexTool (the alpha.pvr and rgb.pvr).

While a7_traffic_busblue.pvrtc4.tga cannot be opened in Paint.NET. But looks straight up odd in PVRTexTool when wrapped as raw data, an image below is added for reference. 

image.thumb.png.e3fc92224488fd35cd7bfa50914ff76c.png

I found the link to an older version of PVRTexTools (I think from 2017 or '18) the link to that is dead and Wayback Machine (web.archive.org) is not working with that.

Anyone know a solution to this? I am just curious to see what the files look outside of the game. Need help. The files I mentioned are attached to this post.

Asphalt7_Texture_Files.zip

• Solution

Well I don't know what general image viewer can load this type of TGA, but if you open it with a hex editor, you see the indicative 16-byte blocks of block-based compression (DXT* or BC*):

image.png.794d65cb298fd32bb73758f518faf328.png

So the Raw Texture Cooker by daemon1 (id-daemon) would probably work for this.

Seeking to file=alps_area1.tga, offset=34h, format=DXT5 (BC3), width=1024, height=1024, you get:

image.png.f16c7efa58b9aa2f40ee975b5aa6b007.png

Edited by piken
Include id-daemon as alias

3 minutes ago, piken said:

Well I don't know what general tool would help you, but if you open it with a hex editor, you see the indicative 16-byte blocks of block-based compression (DXT* or BC*):

Then seeking to file=alps_area1.tga, offset=34h, format=DXT5 (BC3), width=1024, height=1024, you get:

The Raw Texture Cooker by daemon1 would probably work for this.

Thanks for helping me out with this! 

At least I have a solution for one of the file formats, need to find a solution for the .pvrtc4.tga file type also

(What hex editor do you use? HxD or something else. Would like to know.)

On 11/17/2023 at 4:27 PM, piken said:

Well I don't know what general tool would help you, but if you open it with a hex editor, you see the indicative 16-byte blocks of block-based compression (DXT* or BC*):

Then seeking to file=alps_area1.tga, offset=34h, format=DXT5 (BC3), width=1024, height=1024, you get:

The Raw Texture Cooker by daemon1 would probably work for this.

Just want to quickly update this thread.

I have found out with using DXT3 (BC2) that certain textures look better and don't have weird issues. (Some may be fixed by using DXT1 (BC1), but I don't know about all textures.) 

Images added for reference. Just by changing DXT5 to DXT3,DXT1 certain textures look better. 

Still marking piken's response as the solution. Changing the texture compression should fix some of the issues.

I added a black background to the images given below to show what the texture would have looked like without alpha, just don't ask why.

hav_asphalt01_good.png

hav_asphalt01_bad.png

Edited by Idkbuster40
  • Like 1