Metal Gear Master Collection (MSX2 game)

MrVtR

Hey guys, I'm trying to translate the "new" Metal Gear(MSX2 Version) for the Master Collection on Nintendo Switch

Could anyone take a look at this file to try to find a way to extract and recompress the texts if possible? I got no luck digging the file bytes.

At the moment, I can edit the text, but without increasing its size, there is probably a pointer/offset section within the file, but I can't find it.

If you search by the string "infiltrate the" on the file, you'll be able to see the first cutscene strings on the game

english.zip

3 bytes seem to correspond to string size and then comes string, which is not null-terminated (you have to use the size from the 3 bytes prefixing it).

This pattern can be verified quite easily if you start looking at the bytes in-between text.

Unsure where the offsets might be also for now... Think if there are some, they are relative...

Or on a second thought, maybe they are null-terminated and sizes are 2 bytes 🤔

Sizes are big endian in any case.

38 minutes ago, wssdude said:

More I look at It, more I get a feel this is a whole ROM somehow? Which is against rules... Feel a bit unsure about this file tbh...

@wssdudethis isn't the whole ROM, there are a bunch of other files on the MSX game folder
The uploaded file is on the Root path > fr > stage >mg1 > cache > ovr_nx > ovr_eu > english.raw
If I'm not wrong, the "ovr" is from "Overlay", the ROM itself isn't on this file. 

The english.raw probably just have Overlay texts, since the font was redesigned to HD version

Root path:

image.png.ee8e9e88c0c05d0b72493f1ed43968d8.png

"fr" folder

image.png

Edited by MrVtR

2 hours ago, wssdude said:

3 bytes seem to correspond to string size and then comes string, which is not null-terminated (you have to use the size from the 3 bytes prefixing it).

This pattern can be verified quite easily if you start looking at the bytes in-between text.

Unsure where the offsets might be also for now... Think if there are some, they are relative...

Or on a second thought, maybe they are null-terminated and sizes are 2 bytes 🤔

Sizes are big endian in any case.

I found these string bytes too here, I tried to just change them to the new length, but didn't work. Also, the first 4 bytes of the file stands for the File Length, but no positive results from there too
I think that in some section of this file, it have a offset sections, but I tried to search for the string position (little/big endian), and no matches too, so maybe relative?

Edited by MrVtR

Np then just seemed a bit suspicious cause there seem to be like textures or audio also in that file, looks like some bitmaps or PCM data how regular it is 😄 

Couldn't the offsets be somewhere else? Is always a possibility I suppose 🤔

Wouldn't be first nor last format to have indices somewhere in one place and just blobs of data in other place.

2 hours ago, wssdude said:

Np then just seemed a bit suspicious cause there seem to be like textures or audio also in that file, looks like some bitmaps or PCM data how regular it is 😄 

Couldn't the offsets be somewhere else? Is always a possibility I suppose 🤔

Wouldn't be first nor last format to have indices somewhere in one place and just blobs of data in other place.

@wssdude I don't think so, I tested now to replace the spanish.raw on the english folder and rename it to english.raw and the game changed to spanish without any bug, so, the offset section probably is inside this .raw file and not on a separated file
If it makes exploring the files easier, I can also send raw files from other languages here to compare

• Like 1