Malice (2004) - Sound help ("Voxware" Codec)

Go to solution Solved by DKDave,

I need some help with the sounds in the 2004 game Malice, the codec used for the the .wavs is "Voxware Byte Aligned" an obsolete and obscure type, some of the sounds from the Xbox version (Malice's grunts/footsteps/attacks) can be read with Audacity and VLC, just with the exception of her dialogue, all of the sounds can't be read on Ps2, how would one go around converting it to a newer codec?

Down below I'm linking the sound effects in the "Hammer_Alice" folder (Malice wielding the Clockwork Hammer) as an example, included is the compatible ones as comparison.

(rn I'm just looking for guidance on the best way of obtaining these sounds, pin point any ways of doing it and I'll be happy to do em' myself!) 

Xbox (Only Clock Hammer Malice's sound effects).zip

22 hours ago, Thatonebruh196 said:

I need some help with the sounds in the 2004 game Malice, the codec used for the the .wavs is "Voxware Byte Aligned" an obsolete and obscure type, some of the sounds from the Xbox version (Malice's grunts/footsteps/attacks) can be read with Audacity and VLC, just with the exception of her dialogue, all of the sounds can't be read on Ps2, how would one go around converting it to a newer codec?

Down below I'm linking the sound effects in the "Hammer_Alice" folder (Malice wielding the Clockwork Hammer) as an example, included is the compatible ones as comparison.

(rn I'm just looking for guidance on the best way of obtaining these sounds, pin point any ways of doing it and I'll be happy to do em' myself!) 

Xbox (Only Clock Hammer Malice's sound effects).zip 1.8 MB · 3 downloads

The WAVE files just use XBox ADPCM (not that obscure) and you can play and convert them with Foobar + vgmstream (note: some files don't contain audio).  You don't really need to do anything else.

• Like 1

• ikskoks changed the title to Malice (2004) - Sound help ("Voxware" Codec)
2 hours ago, DKDave said:

The WAVE files just use XBox ADPCM (not that obscure) and you can play and convert them with Foobar + vgmstream (note: some files don't contain audio).  You don't really need to do anything else.

image.png.e9d8968081e585d2e9e07f9eb5cfa107.png

me and a friend are unable to open these files with Foobar (And the right plugins) we get this error message every time 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Thatonebruh196 said:

image.png.e9d8968081e585d2e9e07f9eb5cfa107.png

me and a friend are unable to open these files with Foobar (And the right plugins) we get this error message every time 

Hi again, for Xbox you should just be able to rename the file extension to '.lwav' and they should decode fine.

EDIT: Said that too soon, if you check hammer_alice_0000000A.wav (and probably everything else after that), you'll find that 'non-standard' format that lead to me suggesting that weird Voxware codec on another forum. Seems to be made up of three chunks: a 'fmt' chunk, a 'flag' chunk and a 'strm' chunk.

Edited by applecuckoo

26 minutes ago, applecuckoo said:

Hi again, for Xbox you should just be able to rename the file extension to '.lwav' and they should decode fine.

EDIT: Said that too soon, if you check hammer_alice_0000000A.wav (and probably everything else after that), you'll find that 'non-standard' format that lead to me suggesting that weird Voxware codec on another forum. Seems to be made up of three chunks: a 'fmt' chunk, a 'flag' chunk and a 'strm' chunk.

I tried naming them iwav, no dice. Only sound effects, no voice clips. It really is strange that the only clips we can't get are the voice clips... 

4 hours ago, Thatonebruh196 said:

I tried naming them iwav, no dice. Only sound effects, no voice clips. It really is strange that the only clips we can't get are the voice clips... 

Hi! I'm assuming that 'iwav' is a typo and you meant 'lwav' as in the letter L?

Anyways, I took a look again and there's definitely something interesting in that 'flag' chunk, but everything else seems to be a regular Xbox WAV file (except for the changed header name of 'WAVS' and the 'data' chunk renamed 'strm').

6 hours ago, Thatonebruh196 said:

Unfortunately it's the same problem as VLC, it'll only play sound effects, not dialogue, here's previous rips specifically of dialogue (They are .riffs in this version)

Those are only headers. Those files are 68 bytes in total, there is no audio there. You won't be able to play them anywhere.

Open them in hex editor (e.g. Hex Workshop) to see it yourself.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, applecuckoo said:

Hi! I'm assuming that 'iwav' is a typo and you meant 'lwav' as in the letter L?

Anyways, I took a look again and there's definitely something interesting in that 'flag' chunk, but everything else seems to be a regular Xbox WAV file (except for the changed header name of 'WAVS' and the 'data' chunk renamed 'strm').

Nah I typed in leave, it's quite weird that the only audio that can't be found is dialogue..

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ikskoks said:

Those are only headers. Those files are 68 bytes in total, there is no audio there. You won't be able to play them anywhere.

Open them in hex editor (e.g. Hex Workshop) to see it yourself.

So I checked Ps2, it's definitely dialogue, they've got a similar lack of data image.thumb.png.397b1342be8e532040a5696743f4e596.png
Ps2 

image.png.e153a4159ffec1e74afd1aee93e1aa38.png

Xbox 

Would this mean that the files are located elsewhere? (Ps2 directly has a file directly listed) 

Posted (edited)

Update: It's not the Xbox version, but I was able to get some broken Malice's voice lines that are used for her idle animations (And an unused one I think, the "Shocking" audio file) and some music files, Which I couldn't with Xbox...Maybe I should focus on getting the Ps2 sounds instead... 

Edit: I was able to fiddle around with the ADPCM Player, and fix the audio, however the audio clips. Even in other programs some audio finishes and cuts off the  character (I've listed some examples in the Discord Server) 

Update: I've attached some of the fixed audio that cuts itself off here

broken sounds .zip

Pack0.rar

Edited by Thatonebruh196

On 6/8/2024 at 12:15 AM, Thatonebruh196 said:

Update: It's not the Xbox version, but I was able to get some broken Malice's voice lines that are used for her idle animations (And an unused one I think, the "Shocking" audio file) and some music files, Which I couldn't with Xbox...Maybe I should focus on getting the Ps2 sounds instead... 

Edit: I was able to fiddle around with the ADPCM Player, and fix the audio, however the audio clips. Even in other programs some audio finishes and cuts off the  character (I've listed some examples in the Discord Server) 

Update: I've attached some of the fixed audio that cuts itself off here

broken sounds .zip 4.08 MB · 3 downloads

Pack0.rar 4.12 MB · 0 downloads

Update: There's a way to get the PS2 sounds using a python conversion script. And a Quickbms script to take apart the pack file they're located. It's currently in the Reshax discord! 

Example: