Adventure Game Studio export TRS from game

Jorizo
Go to solution Solved by Ghylard,

Hello,

I'm looking to localize some point & click adventure made in adventure game studio, but I'm hitting a bit of a snag.

So the general situation (for any people stumbling on this thread) is:

- AGS has a built-in Translation option. The dev can create a .trs file basically a text file where you can translate the automatically exported strings.

- Then the TRS has to be recomplied into a .tra, and then you can just edit the winsetup or acsetup files to launch the game in the translated language (or implement an option in-game I guess)

The issue is this : what if you're not the dev and don"t have access to the code source. To make a fan translation I only have the compiled game and .exe to work from.

There are some software meant to help you export the TRS from the .exe: AGSTool6. But for the life of me I can't make it work and when I export a TRS from the game the file completely blank.
image.png.83094dbc14d835b8e978f3d7b41da6a5.png

I must be missing something or maybe I'm just using the wron tool entirely...

If any of you have done similar things before I'd be super happy to learn how you did it.

Thanks 🙂

23 minutes ago, Ghylard said:

To create a trs file with AGS6, click on “Create TRS from game”.

There is also another program, which I personally find more interesting.

It's called AGSUnpacker. You can get it from https://github.com/adm244/AGSUnpacker

Thanks for the answer, but, as you can see there is no "create TRS from game" option.

Thanks for the alternative software though, I'll look into it.

11 hours ago, Jorizo said:

Thanks for the answer, but, as you can see there is no "create TRS from game" option.

Thanks for the alternative software though, I'll look into it.

I made a mistake when I told you to click on "Create TRS from game". This button doesn't exist, but there is an "Extract from exe" button which allows you to extract the data contained in the exe.

With AGS6, you must first extract the txt from the exe by clicking on "Create txt from exe" and then create a trs by clicking on "Create trs from txt", which you must then complete by translating the line below.

With AGSUnpacker, you must first extract the data contained in the exe with "Unpack Assets", then you can extract the trs directly by clicking on "EXtract trs from Assets".

This trs (named Extracted.trs) will be located in the data extraction directory.

If you want me to help you, perhaps you should tell me which game you'd like to translate.

I've translated several myself, the latest being The Excavation of Hobb's Barrow, Nightmare Frames and Dreams in the Witch House, the latter of which I'm currently finalizing.

Edited by Ghylard

That's were the software seems not to be working for me.
In AGSTool6 w

4 hours ago, Ghylard said:

I made a mistake when I told you to click on "Create TRS from game". This button doesn't exist, but there is an "Extract from exe" button which allows you to extract the data contained in the exe.

With AGS6, you must first extract the txt from the exe by clicking on "Create txt from exe" and then create a trs by clicking on "Create trs from txt", which you must then complete by translating the line below.

hen selecting "Create TXT from EXE" the produced txt file is completle empty. And so compiling it into a TRS creates an empty TRS.

I'm testing on various game taken from itch.io and right now more specifically on "The Witch's Lullaby" and just like the rest: empty txt file... mAybe there is an incompatibility between this old tool ands the latest version of AGS (3.+).

4 hours ago, Ghylard said:

With AGSUnpacker, you must first extract the data contained in the exe with "Unpack Assets", then you can extract the trs directly by clicking on "EXtract trs from Assets".

This trs (named Extracted.trs) will be located in the data extraction directory.

I'm currently trying to make UGSUpacker work, but I'm inexperienced af when it comes to Visual Studio so I'm not getting anywhere (but that's my fault not the software this time)

EDIT: Ugh I suck at everything this technical. I'm a translator not a softwaqre dev I have no idea how to make anything work.

Edited by Jorizo

4 hours ago, Jorizo said:

I'm currently trying to make UGSUpacker work, but I'm inexperienced af when it comes to Visual Studio so I'm not getting anywhere (but that's my fault not the software this time)

EDIT: Ugh I suck at everything this technical. I'm a translator not a softwaqre dev I have no idea how to make anything work.

I'm not a programmer either, I'm just a simple translator who's gradually learning to use the various tools I find.

It's not always that simple 😊

You don't need Visual Studio at all, just download the program by clicking on Release.

With The Witch's Lullaby, you didn't take the easy way out, because with this game it's not the exe you have to decompile, but The Witch's Lullaby.ags file.

I've attached the latest version of AGSUnpacker (it is not yet on github) and the trs.

The Witch's Lullaby 1.2.zip