[Étranges Libellules games] Searching for proper extension

• Engineer

Hey folks!

Oldschool miner reporting back. Some of you might still know me from XeNTaX/Zenhax or FFShrine (same user name).

I've kinda gotten back to looking at some formats again and revisited some games, mostly console from pre-2010. Noticed there's very little information about formats to be found via standard Google searches nowadays. Welp, times have changed, what can you do...

Currently looking at some games of the mentioned developer (see https://www.mobygames.com/company/4611/etranges-libellules-sa/) and noticed that my old script for those *.kp? files doesn't work for their other games or platforms, so I wrote one from scratch. I haven't reverse-engineered the format and didn't find any information on tools that support it, but I'm only after the sound files anyway, so I'm just using some random format identifier that works for the headers (0xA82F8201) to extract the sounds from the level and stream files.

I wonder if there's a known extension for the format so it's natively playable with vgmstream. Here's a screenshot of how the format looks:

image.thumb.png.8b380139010590218ae6c0552210768b.png

So basically some 0x88 header (frequency at 0x1c, stream size at 0x24), then the file name (with 0x10 padding), then another portion of length 0x2c, then the stream.

Sure, I could easily slap a working PS2 ADPCM header onto the stream itself but maybe the header holds some other information. And to be honest, I'm not a big fan of GENH, which would probably the only other option.

Anyone seen that format before and knows a proper extension?

Thanks for your input, curious if miners from back in the day pop up here. ;)

9 hours ago, AlphaTwentyThree said:

Hey folks!

Oldschool miner reporting back. Some of you might still know me from XeNTaX/Zenhax or FFShrine (same user name).

I've kinda gotten back to looking at some formats again and revisited some games, mostly console from pre-2010. Noticed there's very little information about formats to be found via standard Google searches nowadays. Welp, times have changed, what can you do...

Currently looking at some games of the mentioned developer (see https://www.mobygames.com/company/4611/etranges-libellules-sa/) and noticed that my old script for those *.kp? files doesn't work for their other games or platforms, so I wrote one from scratch. I haven't reverse-engineered the format and didn't find any information on tools that support it, but I'm only after the sound files anyway, so I'm just using some random format identifier that works for the headers (0xA82F8201) to extract the sounds from the level and stream files.

I wonder if there's a known extension for the format so it's natively playable with vgmstream. Here's a screenshot of how the format looks:

So basically some 0x88 header (frequency at 0x1c, stream size at 0x24), then the file name (with 0x10 padding), then another portion of length 0x2c, then the stream.

Sure, I could easily slap a working PS2 ADPCM header onto the stream itself but maybe the header holds some other information. And to be honest, I'm not a big fan of GENH, which would probably the only other option.

Anyone seen that format before and knows a proper extension?

Thanks for your input, curious if miners from back in the day pop up here. 😉

Good to have you back!

I'm not sure if there is a specific extension for vgmstream.  Which specific game is this one?  Can you upload the sample file?

Thanks.

• Like 1

• Engineer

Yeah sorry, my processes are a bit rusty. 😉

Attached archive includes the same two archives from Asterix & Obelix XXL for PS2, GC and PC as well as my two scripts. I've consciously split them up to be able to preserve the raw data for now but of course they can easily be merged.

Strange source format if you ask me - the main sound data is saved in kind of an inner archive with a header that starts with "Dico secteur" plus an additional number or string, every dataset starts with 0x02080000 and includes a full path. Reminds me a bit of the old Playstation Harry Potter games which also had those mixed archives.

I don't think there's any need to include other games from the dev, the format seems to be the same for all of them (A&O XXL2, Arthur and the Invisibles, Asterix at the Olympic Games)

AOXXL_samples.7z

• Like 1