Normal Fishing (Demo)

Go to solution Solved by DKDave,

• Engineer

Downloadable for free here: https://thebworg.itch.io/normal-fishing or https://store.steampowered.com/app/2611240/Normal_Fishing/

Watched a playthrough yesterday and wanted to take a look at the source files, especially the music. Extracting the plain wav files isn't hard, but no file names are stored within the audio archives. Digging a bit deeper revealed that there actually are file names saved within the data.win, but there don't seem to be any direct references to the files inside the dat files.

image.thumb.png.a6677b4b31d396ce63d91fe5b2232691.png

I've attached a script that can extract the sections of these FORM identifier archives, but that's just to have them in a more usable form - the references are pointing to offsets within the .win file, so there's isn't anything to extract per se.

Does anybody have an idea how to match the file names to the streams? The number matches at least. Is there an asset tool for the engine?

normalfishing.7z

• Engineer

Thought that at first but sadly no, they're completely scrambled.

There are two main sound archives (sfx and bgm) and the names from the latter ones are randomly thrown into the list. It either follows some weird sorting (it's not alphabetical, I've checked) or there are other references inside the .win file.

• Solution
On 2/28/2024 at 5:09 PM, AlphaTwentyThree said:

Thought that at first but sadly no, they're completely scrambled.

There are two main sound archives (sfx and bgm) and the names from the latter ones are randomly thrown into the list. It either follows some weird sorting (it's not alphabetical, I've checked) or there are other references inside the .win file.

I did a script for this one (attached).  A few of the fx files seem slightly corrupted, but that's how the data seems to be.  The music files play ok.

normal_fishing.zip

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Engineer

Oh damn, thanks a bunch for going out of your way to do this! 💓 Yeah, those multiple references had me stumped... But I definitely can see now how everything is connected.

Btw, that's how the SFX should sound in fact, it's a horror game so it plays around with 8bit audio glitches. 😉