[PC] Broken Sword 1 (Shadow of the Templars Director's Cut) - Localization

Go to solution Solved by martin2306,

Hi!

I need help extracting and importing text from this game, specifically from a file named "bs1dc.dat". I've tried googling something, but the sites I've drawn from so far seem to be dead (xentax, zenhax).

I've only found one QBMS script, but it's apparently for the phone version of this game: 'for use with data files in BASS (iphone), bs: director's cut (ipad + iphone)'. The result was a folder with about 2000 files. So unusable.

What else I found out is that the game runs on Revolution's Virtual Theatre Engine.

File "bs1dc.dat": https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dE24ZJxbXmDfQuMAmWC0NwsaAyAl91ZH/view?usp=sharing

Edited by martin2306

Well, for translating you will need to reimport resources back into the archives and these tools doesn't have that functionality.

I won't promise you anything, but I will try to look at this game's resources and see what can I do.

• martin2306 changed the title to Hepl with translation Broken Sword 1 (Shadow of the Templars Director's Cut)
  • Solution
Posted (edited)

Hi!

Problem solved. Different than I expected - I wanted to learn it if possible, but it's solved.

Searching further on the internet, I discovered a Hungarian translation of this game. I contacted the translator and he sent me the files with which to export/import the texts. Those files were created for him by someone else. This solved my text export/import problem.

Edit: If anyone would like to translate this game into another language, I'm attaching the file "BS1dc HU.zip" where the utilities I obtained are. There is also a guide on how to proceed (hasznalat.txt). It's in Hungarian and therefore needs to be translated (DeepL). These utilities solve the export/import of the text, but do not solve the possible problem with the character set of different languages.

BS1dc HU.zip

Edited by martin2306

On 4/23/2024 at 11:08 PM, Thief1987 said:

Well, for translating you will need to reimport resources back into the archives and these tools doesn't have that functionality.

I won't promise you anything, but I will try to look at this game's resources and see what can I do.

Thank you for your efforts, but my problem was unexpectedly solved. Thanks!

5 hours ago, martin2306 said:

Hi!

Problem solved. Different than I expected - I wanted to learn it if possible, but it's solved.

Searching further on the internet, I discovered a Hungarian translation of this game. I contacted the translator and he sent me the files with which to export/import the texts. Those files were created for him by someone else. This solved my text export/import problem.

First read the rules about topic name convention. Second, if there is a tool, share it with others, because next time ppl might wont help you!

• martin2306 changed the title to [PC] Broken Sword 1 (Shadow of the Templars Director's Cut) - Localization