Decrypting/unpacking encrypted Assetto Corsa KN5 models

Psyga315

Is there a way to decrypt and unpack encrypted KN5 model files of Assetto Corsa from Content Manager and Custom Shaders Patch? (Not vanilla ones from Kunos).

AFAIK, CSP already decrypts them to load them ingame since each encrypted KN5 contains an encryption key which CM reads it so that CSP can decrypt it to load the car inside the game.

Is there perhaps a tool/program or script which can somehow intercept the unencrypted KN5 externally outside of the game or the encryption key, or is it even possible to directly edit the KN5 in someway? Or maybe it's also possible to reverse engineer the KN5enc to turn it into a decrypter?

I provided below an example of such encrypted KN5 inside a zipped archive for anyone to look at it and if someone is capable of decrypting and unpacking it, I would like to learn how to do that myself.

asurada.zip

1 hour ago, FengoVolkov said:

You politely ask the original author if you can use their model or convert their model, whatever you want to do with it and they send it to you. That's how you get the decrypted model.

I know for myself based on experience that lots of modders in the AC community lately are elitists and pretty much straight up ignore or make fun of other modders like me, even worst, many of them even end up selling those encrypted mods and sometimes even unencrypted versions too but being too overpriced with a few I saw on Gumroad lately. So no chance that is going to happen very easly, I would still rather prefer decrypting all of those converted mods the tough way honestly, all the scratch-made ones instead from teams such as VRC, URD and RSS will be ignored and kept intact since I don't despise KN5 encryption completely in general at all in any way, far from it. It's just that lately it has been abused and oversaturated towards the wrong kind of models IMO and to me it feels like it restrains the freedom and spirit of modding in that community and it's highly immoral as well towards copyrighted content

What kind of encryption are we talking about?

*(manual review for informational purposes.)

-1.png.cdf454a9dc46a95604be8c23b892e24d.png

EDIT: I'm not familiar with this game/editor, and I don't know if a converter exists, but I made a plugin for kn5, for version (4 and 6). version 5 (has "encrypted vertices", blue in the screenshots)

-2.png.f73c71f1b18b0f9be4017ea6a4ba168a.png

Edited by Durik256
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Durik256 said:

What kind of encryption are we talking about?

*(manual review for informational purposes.)

-1.png.cdf454a9dc46a95604be8c23b892e24d.png

Interesting, what kind of tool or script did you happen to use in order to unpack the model? I would so love to learn using it too. (I hope it isn't Ninja Ripper/3D Ripper DX, that's not what I'm looking for at all)

Basically that encryption only counts inside Content Manager, a loader for Assetto Corsa also used for mod and content management as the name implies, but if I were to import the one you just unpacked inside KSEditor and export it as KN5 (assuming it's in original FBX format) then that model I uploaded here is entirely unencrypted and therefore it's editable again in CM.

Edited by Psyga315

Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, Durik256 said:

HxD and notepad

I just meant that your file is not encrypted

Ah I see, so in principle those files really aren't encrypted on their own outside of Content Manager like I assumed. Can you send me the model with all textures unpacked (is it at least in FBX format and does it contain an ini file too?) I would also like to learn how you managed to unpack that model using those two programs hoping it ain't too difficult at all.

Edited by Psyga315

• 5 weeks later...