[PC] Broken Sword: The Shadow of the Templars (1996) *clu

Hulk
Go to solution Solved by Durik256,

Hello,

I am currently facing difficulties in locating tools to extract .clu files. Despite thorough searches on various forums, including older hentai communities, I have been unable to find the necessary utilities. Jere are the files that contain text for the game Broken Sword 1 .clu.zip

If anyone possesses these tools or has the capability to develop a new extraction and import tool, your assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

11 hours ago, Hulk said:

Hello,

I am currently facing difficulties in locating tools to extract .clu files. Despite thorough searches on various forums, including older hentai communities, I have been unable to find the necessary utilities. Jere are the files that contain text for the game Broken Sword 1 .clu.zip

If anyone possesses these tools or has the capability to develop a new extraction and import tool, your assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Is this game available in other languages? You need to upload additional language files for comparison.

@katashi: look at text.clu. There's several languages contained.

@Hulk. the format of the text clue is easy to obtain:

89 text entries (first text block)
It was a Paris daily tabloid newspaper full of xxx, scandal and sports results.
It was a thin, supple twig of hazel.
The towel was soaked through with water.
The towel had dried out but was still damp.
The towel had dried out and was barely damp.
It was a key ring bearing one large brass key and a tag which read 'Hotel Ubu'.
It was the bright red ball I'd got from the juggler.
The statuette looked pretty sorry for itself after its fall; chipped with both arms broken off.

22 text entries
Ein Stapel Kartons, in denen mal Weinflaschen verpackt waren.
Ich untersuche die Kartons genauer. Sie sind feucht, ziemlich muffig und einwandfrei leer.
Eine Plastikkiste.
Hier gibt's nix Interessantes...
Das Regenrohr sieht so aus, als ob es mein Gewicht tragen könnte...

Search for "ChrTxt" to approach to next offsets' table.

The format of script.clu seems to contain tokens. Debugging required to get the text of script cmmands, if any commands table exists.

maps clu, checked in gimp

Edited by shak-otay
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, shak-otay said:

@katashi: look at text.clu. There's several languages contained.

@Hulk. the format of the text clue is easy to obtain:

89 text entries (first text block)
It was a Paris daily tabloid newspaper full of xxx, scandal and sports results.
It was a thin, supple twig of hazel.
The towel was soaked through with water.
The towel had dried out but was still damp.
The towel had dried out and was barely damp.
It was a key ring bearing one large brass key and a tag which read 'Hotel Ubu'.
It was the bright red ball I'd got from the juggler.
The statuette looked pretty sorry for itself after its fall; chipped with both arms broken off.

22 text entries
Ein Stapel Kartons, in denen mal Weinflaschen verpackt waren.
Ich untersuche die Kartons genauer. Sie sind feucht, ziemlich muffig und einwandfrei leer.
Eine Plastikkiste.
Hier gibt's nix Interessantes...
Das Regenrohr sieht so aus, als ob es mein Gewicht tragen könnte...

Search for "ChrTxt" to approach to next offsets' table.

The format of script.clu seems to contain tokens. Debugging required to get the text of script cmmands, if any commands table exists.

maps clu, checked in gimp

Hello,

I am aware that there is text within these files,  because I have been guided by other patches in different languages.

For reference, here is the Russian patch: BrokenSwordSotT_MediaHouse.zip

I believe that the files, aside with the text.clu file, contain images that need translation.

Could you please let me know which plugin you used to load this image into Gimp?

34 minutes ago, Thief1987 said:

Do you need to extract text or data in general?

I presume general data, as I suspect that there are images, in addition to text, that also require translation.

2 hours ago, Hulk said:

Hello,

I am aware that there is text within these files,

You wrote you're searching for tools to extract .clu files and I showed that it's easy to extract from text.clu. So.

Could you please let me know which plugin you used to load this image into Gimp?

Allegedly raw-data plugin (to import raw data).

• Solution
Posted (edited)

information about indents and sizes is in the *.rif file

I made an unpacker for *.clu/*.rif (throw rif to exe, the rest of the .clu files should be in the same folder)

it will unpack the raw files. then you can throw the unpacked file on exe, for example, to save ChrTxt as lines in txt or split Sprites as sprites)

sprites are 8 bits per pixel, these are indexes to the color in the palette. the palette can be common for all sprites in "*.Sprites" it can be determined by its small size ~<1000bytes

sample (..\clu\Files_swordres\general\5\File_1.Sprite)

I specified the palette manually. There are also compressed sprites, such as RLE7 (can be unpacked in qbms) and JIM, I don’t know what kind of compression this is.

You can also create a config.ini near the exe to specify the text encoding, or indicate whether to unpack Sprites. You can create it by launching the exe and pressing the "D" button

EDIT: if you do not have experience in programming and knowledge of compression and pixel formats, then I think it is impossible to translate

bandicam 2024-06-23 03-56-06-792.gif

File_3out.png

ConsoleApp_CLU.zip

Edited by Durik256
  • Thanks 2

Thank you for providing the tool. It successfully extracts all the data. However, I am wondering if it would be possible to develop a tool that can repackage this data into .clu format?

I have managed to locate the source code of the game, but I lack expertise in this area. https://github.com/scummvm/scummvm/blob/66684809489bd09030451aa64d6a2c689c812e9a/engines/sword1/sworddefs.h Could this facilitate the process of repackaging?

Regarding the sprites, they seem quite complex for me to handle personally. Fortunately, I know someone who has the expertise to assist with this part of the process.