[Mobile] The Lord of the Rings: Rise to War (.npk into .dat into .obj)

Posted (edited)

I figure I would catalogue my findings and put them all in one place in case anyone else is looking for the models in this game.

This wouldn't have been possible without the help of TeaEffTeu, who provided the QuickBMS script used to extract the .npk files.

You can find the script here

The process is as follows

• Once you install the game you have to locate the .apk files buried in your phone or emulator, turn these into zips so you get into them.
  • Inside the split_mini_client and split_mini_client_extra apk/zips there are asset folders, the .npk files can be found within.
  • Run the quickbms script, follow the instructions and select 0 to force decryption.
  • Run RMAViewer to view the .dat files that have been extracted from the .npk files.
  • From the RMAViewer interface you can extract into .obj files.

I do have an issue when trying to find certain things in the files. I can only find the low LOD models of certain units as it looks like RMAViewer can't open some files. If you can figure this out, I would be most thankful. I have an example file listed in the comments below.

RMA_Upd3.zip

Edited by JumpinGopher
Changed link to the proper download page instead of the forum post
  • Like 1

I should clarify that when extracting archives, decryption occurs before decompression. The script crashes if it attempts to decompress encrypted content. Since the grand majority of files in the archives are compressed, it's fair to assume that whatever is spat out is correct. The only case where this isn't true is when something is extracted without decompression, which may prompt manual verification of the extracted content.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, TeaEffTeu said:

I should clarify that when extracting archives, decryption occurs before decompression. The script crashes if it attempts to decompress encrypted content. Since the grand majority of files in the archives are compressed, it's fair to assume that whatever is spat out is correct. The only case where this isn't true is when something is extracted without decompression, which may prompt manual verification of the extracted content.

QuickBMS never gives me any issues so potentially an RMAViewer issue or I wasn't able to find all the files. There are quite a few .dat files over 1mb that it doesn't want to view.

Edit - I added one of the bigger files if anyone is able to figure it out.

1321.7z

Edited by JumpinGopher
added file

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Durik256 said:

just manual search

2.png

1.png

I've made a little progress with your tool, but I get this Polygon error. The only thing I was able to figure out was to open your .stmf template and then import the .dat file. What were your steps?

MeshFinder_cfaxj8CKST.png

MeshFinder_mr90rtSDI9.png

Edited by JumpinGopher

2 hours ago, JumpinGopher said:

I've made a little progress with your tool, but I get this Polygon error. The only thing I was able to figure out was to open your .stmf template and then import the .dat file. What were your steps?

MeshFinder_cfaxj8CKST.png

MeshFinder_mr90rtSDI9.png

just open the dat file and enter the values as in my screenshot. For vert: offset = 19746, count = 17091,  type=float; for faces: offset = 635024, count = 20044, type = short, format = triangle 

8 minutes ago, Durik256 said:

just open the dat file and enter the values as in my screenshot. For vert: offset = 19746, count = 17091,  type=float; for faces: offset = 635024, count = 20044, type = short, format = triangle 

Got it! Thanks. However the values seem to be unique to that one specific .dat file. How did you figure them out?

• 2 months later...