Tomb Raider Survivor Trilogy 3D Model Tools

_MaZ_TeR_

Hey, since Xentax went down, it seems that the only threads about the game extraction tools and the links to the tools for extracting models out of Tomb Raider 2013, Rise and Shadow of the Tomb Raider disappeared. I figured that I'll just make a megathread about it here. This is about the rebooted trilogy, older games and potentially the upcoming Unreal Engine Tomb Raider 12 will get new threads.

Unfortunately I didn't save any of the links so I can't post any here, but I do have some of the tools on my computer. Not sure if I want to reupload them if the links to the existing fileshares exist.

If you have the links to the tools (if I don't reupload the ones I have on my computer to somewhere), please comment them below and I will add them here.

=============================

Note that some of the links are from this thread from the Tomb Raider forum. Majority disappeared with Xentax unfortunately.

Tomb Raider (2013)

fmt_TRAS_mesh_1_3_1.py - Version 1.3.1 - 16/01/15

fmt_TRAS_mesh_1_3_1-tex.py - (Use tr9drmhash.exe and model script from link below)

fmt_TRAS_mesh_1_3_1_1-tex.pyVersion 1.3.1 (Aman) - 27/10/15

TR9 BigFile extractor (Same as Definitive Edition)

Tomb Raider Definitive Edition

fmt_TRDE_mesh_1_3_1.py

TR9 BigFile extractor (SORRY NO LINK ATM, SINCE IT WENT DOWN WITH THE SHIP)

Rise of the Tomb Raider

fmt_TR2_mesh_1_5.py

DRM + Tiger unpacker, updated Noesis script I'm pretty sure I got from NexusModding. That site also has far more updated modding tools for Rise, which I'm pretty sure work just well, if not better.

ROTR Tools Mega.rar

Shadow of the Tomb Raider

TIGER + DRM unpacker and model format extractor for Noesis

SOTR tool.rar

Note that I'm not sure what the patcher was for, I got it from the SOTR Xentax thread but that's about as much as I know.

Edit: There's a new mod tool and asset extractor for Shadow of the Tomb Raider that works the same as the one made for ROTR. Available here:

https://www.nexusmods.com/shadowofthetombraider/mods/185?tab=description

Appears to have Blender support and supports extraction of morphs.

If you want to export the model with the skeleton, there's usually a file called Section XXXX.skl in the DTP folder of the model archive. Move that file in the mesh folder, then rename it to skeleton.skl, then in Noesis, press the red humanoid figure button and you will see that the model has a skeleton. You can then export the model in FBX or DAE format and include both the original weight painting and skeleton. However, sometimes, if I recall, the skeleton file isn't clearly marked, so you just have to go through all of the DTP files. I've noticed that the skeleton tends to be named either pretty close or exactly to the same section number as the model you're looking for. For ROTR, the skeletons are always called "Section XXX.skl" in the middle of all of the Section XXX.DTP files, both in the older extraction tools and on the newer tools on Nexus Modding. As for SOTR, with the older 2018 extraction tools, the skeletons are never properly named, but it doesn't matter any more as the new Nexus mod tools automatically extract the skeletons belonging to the model you want.

With the newer SOTR Blender importer, it will automatically export both shape keys and the armature, but if you use the old tool, what I explained works there. If you however use the ROTR Extractor from Nexus, it gives the models their proper names, so you may run into trouble with finding the right skeleton, unless you use the old 2016 extracting tools. But from what I obeserved, a lot of the models have their proper skeleton files marked under the skl format in ROTR, I think it was SOTR that had a random name with the skeletons, but this is no longer an issue thanks to the new Blender importer addon.

id-daemon's Purehair tool (works with Deus Ex: Mandkind Divided, Rise and Shadow of the Tomb Raider)

ROTR + SOTR Purehair.rar

Example, SOTR "swampthingloose" hair from the Porvenir Oil Fields level:

Find the biggest DTP file, then drag and drop it onto PureHair_2c.exe. Then put .c file onto PureHair.exe and it'll output an obj file with the Purehair system made out of polygon edges. If you want to recreate the in-game hair, you can use these either as reference or for example in Blender, convert them with other toolsets to haircards or particle systems.

However, I noticed that it separates the root vertices from the rest of the edge lines, so you have a bunch of loose geometry and shorter hair.

yeehaw2.thumb.jpg.0d77d7922f99353ba9b08e93fc8eef48.jpg

Edited by _MaZ_TeR_
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Skykila said:

I heard that there are tools for importing animation, but they are not in the public...

Yeah I think so, since JOOSTAR on Nexus Modding seems to have been able to use Lara's idle pose in his previews.

To be honest, I'd like to actually modify the anims in TR2013 since I noticed there's quite a lot of jankyness when I made my ROTR  Lara port mod to that game.

On 11/5/2023 at 3:19 PM, Skykila said:

I heard that there are tools for importing animation, but they are not in the public...

That's not true, the 3DS Max importer was posted on Xentax on the ROTTR Bigfiles thread if I remember correctly, by a chinese user. No idea where you would find that now though, if nobody backed it up.

52 minutes ago, Raq said:

That's not true, the 3DS Max importer was posted on Xentax on the ROTTR Bigfiles thread if I remember correctly, by a chinese user. No idea where you would find that now though, if nobody backed it up.

I definitely saw a gif with imported animation from Tomb Rider Legend (I think on Discord)

Edited by Skykila

8 hours ago, Skykila said:

I definitely saw a gif with imported animation from Tomb Rider Legend (I think on Discord)

Tomb Raider Legend has never had its animations reversed. I don't know what you saw. The only reversed animations were from Rise of the Tomb Raider.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/8/2023 at 10:16 PM, Raq said:

Tomb Raider 2013 Mesh Exporter for Blender 2.8+

Original code by aman, 2.8+ port by Irastris, v4_lara export crash fix by me

io_scene_tombRaider9.zip 11.81 kB · 6 downloads

Hey, I noticed that with your ROTR Noesis script (v1.7), fur objects sometimes have totally broken UVs where they're completely compressed together. They work just fine with the TR forum 1.5 version.

Also, I don't know if you know this, but also sometimes the objects' normals are messed up with random dark and normal spots scattered.

On 11/21/2023 at 4:06 PM, _MaZ_TeR_ said:

Hey, I noticed that with your ROTR Noesis script (v1.7), fur objects sometimes have totally broken UVs where they're completely compressed together. They work just fine with the TR forum 1.5 version.

Also, I don't know if you know this, but also sometimes the objects' normals are messed up with random dark and normal spots scattered.

I never made a ROTTR Noesis script, the only thing I've done with it was editing it to make it write the count of face indices when exporting custom models to prevent crashes.

I don't know what version you're talking about since fur objects' UVs work totally fine for me (I am checking the fur meshes from Lara's laracroft_snow_gear, if that's what you mean). Also not sure about the normals problems you're talking about, screenshots would be appreciated.

Edited by Raq

13 hours ago, Raq said:

I never made a ROTTR Noesis script, the only thing I've done with it was editing it to make it write the count of face indices when exporting custom models to prevent crashes.

I don't know what version you're talking about since fur objects' UVs work totally fine for me (I am checking the fur meshes from Lara's laracroft_snow_gear, if that's what you mean). Also not sure about the normals problems you're talking about, screenshots would be appreciated.

Ah damn, well with the Ushanka outfit (cold darkness or something like that), the fur parts were completely broken with your edited 1.7 version, but they work just fine in 1.5 from the TR forum. And with some outfits, some vertices on the UVs of some faces on the fur objects were completely misplaced. Not sure if anyone is even willing to modify the code at this point though.

• 3 weeks later...