BINK video with BAU1 32bit audio

Go to solution Solved by DKDave,

• 3 weeks later...
  • Engineer
On 2/17/2024 at 9:19 PM, wssdude said:

I'm pretty sure you can do it with original tools, you can for sure replace just audio or just video with them (I did multiple times in the past). If there is muxer, there should be demuxer also.

https://www.radgametools.com/bnkdown.htm

Download RAD Video Tools, these are official tools by the Bink devs.

Have you ever downloaded or used their tools? They didn't ever offer a demuxer, only ever a decoder to plain wav.

So no, this doesn't help in the slightest, sorry.

If you read what I wrote, yes I did use them and not once...

Did you try Bink Converter? With only audio output and selecting output file type and such? It should output you .wav or such you select.

Edited by wssdude

Only problem is I suppose if you need literal demux I just realised. Unsure what would be the benefit of it but sure, I guess it cant do that.

But it can get you audio out with the same params in format you want. You can modify it how you want and mux it back in with Bink Audio Mixer without any issues, it should even preserve format of the old .bik files.

ffmpeg may be able to demux it if you need raw audio from it, it can surely play it at least and has cmdline options for such things. But I'm a bit unsure of the benefit of pure demux as mentioned, as you would end up with a .wav file of sorts anyway during playback, can't get it more lossless than that. And you can do that with RAD tools. Even mux it back in in original format.

Edited by wssdude
  • Like 1

It's fairly easy to demux standard .BIK files to get the raw audio data, but I'm not sure if there's anything that can play it by adding a simple header.

VGMToolbox can demux the audio, but only back into a BIK container without the video.

• Engineer
11 hours ago, DKDave said:

It's fairly easy to demux standard .BIK files to get the raw audio data, but I'm not sure if there's anything that can play it by adding a simple header.

VGMToolbox can demux the audio, but only back into a BIK container without the video.

Well sure, it can demux Bink videos with regular audio, but it crashes with the attached sample files., try it out I thought it might be because of the 32bit audio. Is VGMToolbox still actively expanded nowadays?

I don't think VGMToolbox is being updated these days.

I've had a closer look at your demo file.  The reason it crashes out is because the data is corrupt.  The file will play with Media Player Classic, but only for about 10-15 seconds before it stops.  It seems like the first 297 blocks are standard, but then the block offsets are wrong, so it can't pick up the data correctly.  The audio seems like standard Bink audio as well.

So either the file is somehow corrupt or they've messed with it for some reason.

• Solution

Update: I extracted the same file as your example from the GameCube version and it works perfectly with no issues, so I think maybe your file was just extracted incorrectly.

• 1 month later...