Silent Hill 4 XBOX models .bin

roocker666
Go to solution Solved by alanm1,

Hi, we are trying to reverse SH4 model format. We made a lot of progress so here is our research, maybe with this we can create a Noesis script to extract models.

Model is made by a lot of meshes, It seems like the model is not in T pose, you need to attach the skeleton to meshes but I don't know how to do that.. I am not familiar with bones and that stuff, lol. But I got the skeleton with Durik's tool(image 3)

I cut the 1st mesh to analyze it better(image 2). 

I used jank.bin, this is the superintendent. There is still some unknow data here and there but I am not sure what that is..

Thanks for reading this 🙂

jank1.JPG

jank2.JPG

jank3.JPG

Edited by roocker666

Oh, here are some samples, in some models mesh pointer is not in same position so it depends on the model. For example henry01 has a lot of pointer for animations, last 3 pointers of File Header go to mesh, textures and shadow. In Eileen textures are in first block then mesh and shadow. In jank(superintendent) 1st block is mesh, then textures and shadow. 

xbox samples

Hi, I'm the other guy who reverse engineers this format. We already know how textures work so no need help for there.

I think it was best to just split the .bin file and upload only character model part, to not to confuse people.

• Like 1

fmt_bin.py

just a quick test. it will open all the meshes in the file and the skeleton. (as in the screenshot at the bottom).
the unknown 8 bytes in the vertexbuffer in your description are 4 floats (bone indices) and 4 floats (bone weights). but bn indices as negative values from -60 and less (multiples of 3, for example -57, -54, etc.). so I do this ((bi + 60) / 3) to get indexes, but these are most likely indexes for the bone map and not directly to the skeleton. but what looks like a map of bones has indices of more than the bones in the skeleton. In general, it’s not entirely clear at first glance, maybe someone who has more time will help you. *and yes, some faces are inverted. As a result, during a quick test, the best I got is visible on the screen (top half) xD.

**(I won't go back to this again)

-1.jpg.5670413d7b93a4ed222728a5e5089166.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/20/2024 at 8:27 AM, roocker666 said:

I see, thanks for your help man!

Hello can you help us?
We need to modify the font in the game.
We extracted the font image from the fontdata_kr.bin file,
but where is the character coordinate file located? How can we modify the letter coordinates to add new letters?
I will upload the font file for you. Perhaps you can explain or find out where the coordinate file is located for modifying the letters.

On 2/20/2024 at 5:52 AM, Durik256 said:

fmt_bin.py

just a quick test. it will open all the meshes in the file and the skeleton. (as in the screenshot at the bottom).
the unknown 8 bytes in the vertexbuffer in your description are 4 floats (bone indices) and 4 floats (bone weights). but bn indices as negative values from -60 and less (multiples of 3, for example -57, -54, etc.). so I do this ((bi + 60) / 3) to get indexes, but these are most likely indexes for the bone map and not directly to the skeleton. but what looks like a map of bones has indices of more than the bones in the skeleton. In general, it’s not entirely clear at first glance, maybe someone who has more time will help you. *and yes, some faces are inverted. As a result, during a quick test, the best I got is visible on the screen (top half) xD.

**(I won't go back to this again)

-1.jpg.5670413d7b93a4ed222728a5e5089166.jpg

you can help us with that?

fontdata_kr.rar

Edited by AMO1

1 hour ago, alanm1 said:

Here is a modification of Durik256's  fmt_bin.py  with support for mdl bone binding in noesis.  Some tri-strip sill show up inside out,  Just toggle the culling setting to make all face visible.

That is awesome man, We finally have SH4 models. Thank you very much!