Shadow of the Colossus Remake (PS4) Models

Quasar728

The RGH textures is pbr-multichannel textures, some are BC1 and BC5.

Red-roughness

Green-ao

Blue-unsure, just a grayscale texture in all of em

Alpha-metal

As for a list of which textures aren't square, sure I can do that whenever I have time to dig through.

Edit:
Current list I have of non-square sized textures. I've also added where those textures can be found just in case.

edit2:

more additions added, came across some CTXR files that has no CTXC files, so that's documented, along with CPTX

spacer.png

Textures with unique sizes.7z

Edited by Dmnslyrx8

On 4/15/2024 at 1:41 AM, Dmnslyrx8 said:

The RGH textures is pbr-multichannel textures, some are BC1 and BC5.

Red-roughness

Green-ao

Blue-unsure, just a grayscale texture in all of em

Alpha-metal

As for a list of which textures aren't square, sure I can do that whenever I have time to dig through.

Edit:
Current list I have of non-square sized textures. I've also added where those textures can be found just in case.

edit2:

more additions added, came across some CTXR files that has no CTXC files, so that's documented, along with CPTX

spacer.png

Textures with unique sizes.7z 1.03 kB · 0 downloads

The list is helpful, thank you.

And yes, there's actually a good amount of CTXR files with no CTXC. Usually this happens when the texture is below the size threshold for that or if it's just one giant texture with no mipmaps, like for UI. 

55 minutes ago, Shadowth117 said:

The list is helpful, thank you.

And yes, there's actually a good amount of CTXR files with no CTXC. Usually this happens when the texture is below the size threshold for that or if it's just one giant texture with no mipmaps, like for UI. 

That's what I figured. There were some UI textures that I couldn't figure out the resolution for sadly. Also came across some original SotC texture files, which was pretty amazing that they kept the original files in. 

Also, just found some cubemaps under this directory, some are 256x1536 and 512x3072.

textures\ibl\shadow\[anyfolder]\[again any folder]\_ps4\

Edit: image ordering for cubemap structure, from top to bottom

image.thumb.png.7a36ea0876b8b63ef1722f1f528ca1e7.pngimage.png.2e3d32545032688ae93ae311be54e4c9.png
+X
-X
+Y
-Y
+Z
-Z

Offset x04 - Image type?
1 - 2D
Offset x06 - Is Cubemap? [Flag]
0 - No
1 - Yes

Edited by Dmnslyrx8
Cubemap Ordering

3 hours ago, Dmnslyrx8 said:

That's what I figured. There were some UI textures that I couldn't figure out the resolution for sadly. Also came across some original SotC texture files, which was pretty amazing that they kept the original files in. 

Also, just found some cubemaps under this directory, some are 256x1536 and 512x3072.

Edit: image ordering for cubemap structure, from top to bottom

image.thumb.png.7a36ea0876b8b63ef1722f1f528ca1e7.pngimage.png.2e3d32545032688ae93ae311be54e4c9.png
+X
-X
+Y
-Y
+Z
-Z

Offset x04 - Image type?
1 - 2D
Offset x06 - Is Cubemap? [Flag]
0 - No
1 - Yes

Cool to know. A lot of tools don't support cubemaps all that great, but I do want to try and convert them decently if possible. I went and fixed up my lib a bit to handle that for antoher game somewhat recently.

I've been giving a good look to some of these and it seems one thing that was in this too from Demon's Souls was a few textures being .pngs with a .ctxr extension by the way. Namely these (ignore the extra folder, I just kept both for reference)

image.png.36f36b8c5b5726bf1c1aef2e6dae0f67.png

58 minutes ago, Shadowth117 said:

Cool to know. A lot of tools don't support cubemaps all that great, but I do want to try and convert them decently if possible. I went and fixed up my lib a bit to handle that for antoher game somewhat recently.

I've been giving a good look to some of these and it seems one thing that was in this too from Demon's Souls was a few textures being .pngs with a .ctxr extension by the way. Namely these (ignore the extra folder, I just kept both for reference)

image.png.36f36b8c5b5726bf1c1aef2e6dae0f67.png

wow, using png's as ctxr, altho that stuff doesn't interest me since that's just misc boot screen textures

anyways, if ya want any follow ups with textures, my discord tag is DSX8

Some notes on mips, specifically for Demon's Souls (though this might apply to a point in SOTC). Need to test en masse, but it seemed accurate for BC1 and 8 bit RGBA textures:

The texture buffers for internal mipmaps seemingly subdivide by 2 each time we go down a mip, until we reach 0x400. When the buffer should be 0x400, we instead skip to
All mipmap buffers after this will be 0x100 regardless of true size.
While the buffers are larger than the actual texture size, the swizzling happens at the buffer level and thus reading the full buffer for deswizzling is paramount

Also going to have to check a lot of assumptions with texture resolution. I do at least believe stuff with more unique resolutions (3840x2560 and the like) probably can't have mipmaps at the moment. Or at least, if they can then there aren't examples ingame.

SOTC while different, and listing mipmaps in descending order of size, rather than the reverse like in Demon's Souls, appears to have a similar thing going on where buffer sizes have a floor, though it doesn't appear as rigid. 

14 hours ago, Dmnslyrx8 said:

anyways, if ya want any follow ups with textures, my discord tag is DSX8

Have you had any decompression errors for textures?

I have tried a batch decompression of all textures, some decompress and some give significant AccessViolationException errors that stop visual studio / crash the model tool.

Examples attached.

_ps4.zip

Edited by 09williamsad

9 minutes ago, 09williamsad said:

Have you had any decompression errors for textures?

I have tried a batch decompression of all textures, some decompress and some give significant AccessViolationException errors that stop visual studio / crash the model tool.

Examples attached.

_ps4.zip 10.82 MB · 0 downloads

the examples you sent have no compressed files besides for the CTXR, all the CTXC files in ur zip exported just fine.
image.thumb.png.a536775f19847b9edd6c893c2ed0fcc3.png

Would like to tell others that there are some texture files that's not compressed, so if the batch decompress fails at a certain file, you'll know why.

29 minutes ago, Dmnslyrx8 said:

the examples you sent have no compressed files besides for the CTXR, all the CTXC files in ur zip exported just fine.

Would like to tell others that there are some texture files that's not compressed, so if the batch decompress fails at a certain file, you'll know why.

Have you seen a consistent indicator as to which textures are compressed or not?

I am trying to batch convert, but the uncompressed textures cause a corrupt process exception, which I have so far not found a way to ignore/recover in Visual Studio.

4 minutes ago, 09williamsad said:

Have you seen a consistent indicator as to which textures are compressed or not?

I am trying to batch convert, but the uncompressed textures cause a corrupt process exception, which I have so far not found a way to ignore/recover in Visual Studio.

usually by looking at the texture file in a hex editor

Example, for agro_bridle_col.chunk0.ctxc
left = decompressed
right = compressed (highlighted is what you want to look for)
image.thumb.png.5e708e5862964afdc63e290fd5537022.png

Edited by Dmnslyrx8
  • Thanks 1

By the way, if you figure out what pixel format 0x1 and 0x3 are supposed to be, let me know. I don't know how common those might be in SOTC, but I wasn't able to determine their format on my own. 

I've provided examples (again, the initial int is the pixel format. These are PS5 textures and use PS5 swizzling as a result), spot being the 0x3 and settings_brightness being the 0x1. 

SOTC has so far used the same pixel format ids so if it's figured out for one, it should work for both. But knowing what they are at all would be great.

The examples both begin data at 0x41 and cease 0xC before end of file.

spot_oldone_rim_shadow_03_1f81951b_baked2dshadow.7z settings_brightness_sshot_b_hdr.7z

11 hours ago, Shadowth117 said:

By the way, if you figure out what pixel format 0x1 and 0x3 are supposed to be, let me know. I don't know how common those might be in SOTC, but I wasn't able to determine their format on my own. 

I've provided examples (again, the initial int is the pixel format. These are PS5 textures and use PS5 swizzling as a result), spot being the 0x3 and settings_brightness being the 0x1. 

SOTC has so far used the same pixel format ids so if it's figured out for one, it should work for both. But knowing what they are at all would be great.

The examples both begin data at 0x41 and cease 0xC before end of file.

spot_oldone_rim_shadow_03_1f81951b_baked2dshadow.7z 1.82 MB · 2 downloads settings_brightness_sshot_b_hdr.7z 3.63 MB · 2 downloads

mmm just realized I don't have any programs that can do PS5 swizzle... so I'm unable to assist ya there 😕
was gonna try to figure it out, but damn, can't -_-

45 minutes ago, 09williamsad said:

Is Rawtex PS5 suitable for that?

See attached.

Rawtex.zip 28.67 kB · 0 downloads

yes that'll help just fine, thanks!

Edit:
settings_brightness_sshot_b_hdr is a r16g16b16a16_float, altho the rawtex 09williamsad sent me doesn't deswizzle it properly.
spot_oldone_rim_shadow_03_1f81951b_baked2dshadow, I had close results with R10G10, but will keep playing around.

If you can send me the locations that SOTC has those formats in, I'll be grateful.

Edited by Dmnslyrx8

I have done some checks and batch operations.
Sotc PS4 has 51505 files with the compression header (hex "8C 0A" / text "Π").

Only 24 of those files do not have a file exported by Aqua-Toolset when decompressing.
Those 24 are just some emitter .csdr files in the particles folder, so nothing important.

Compressed file list attached.

SotC PS4 compressed files.zip

14 minutes ago, 09williamsad said:

I have done some checks and batch operations.
Sotc PS4 has 51505 files with the compression header (hex "8C 0A" / text "Π").

Only 24 of those files do not have a file exported by Aqua-Toolset when decompressing.
Those 24 are just some emitter .csdr files in the particles folder, so nothing important.

Compressed file list attached.

SotC PS4 compressed files.zip 301.34 kB · 0 downloads

went through ur decompression error list, those files aren't compressed, since they're just shader files.

2 minutes ago, Dmnslyrx8 said:

went through ur decompression error list, those files aren't compressed, since they're just shader files.

You are correct.
The tool I was using to search the headers auto trimmed empty spaces, so they showed as compressed.
"01 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 8C 0A" / "...........Œ".

16 hours ago, Dmnslyrx8 said:

well no matter what I do, I can't figure out what pixel format 0x3 is

Well, no guarantee that it's even a possible .dds pixel format. It'd be nice to know, but it's alright honestly if not everything is figured out, or at least for now. Maybe eventually someone will think of something.

On 4/14/2024 at 6:15 AM, CharlieV said:

c01 with the face texture applied but not working
screen01.thumb.jpg.0fb5dffceab3e671df864c6e453eefe4.jpg

For when you applied the textures, did your tool get all the materials and UV as seperate or did you manually seperate them?

Because for the models I have checked, they have all the UVs to one material.
I have checked the tool during runtime, and all the materials are loaded, but only one is exported.

https://github.com/Shadowth117/Aqua-Toolset/issues/2

Edited by 09williamsad

3 hours ago, 09williamsad said:

For when you applied the textures, did your tool get all the materials and UV as seperate or did you manually seperate them?

Because for the models I have checked, they have all the UVs to one material.
I have checked the tool during runtime, and all the materials are loaded, but only one is exported.

https://github.com/Shadowth117/Aqua-Toolset/issues/2

I resolved it. Essentially, the tool tries to separate by materials since that's the only way that can really happen afaik. But previously it wasn't handling it correctly since I overlooked a difference between demon's souls and SOTC at one step.

It should be good now.

https://github.com/Shadowth117/Aqua-Toolset/releases

Edited by Shadowth117

On 4/23/2024 at 11:47 AM, 09williamsad said:

Thank you, but did you publish the build without updating the source code?

As there is a two week difference between them.

Ah, basically, I've been updating the library repo. For me, when I do that since I have the repos where I do I don't need to update the UI's submodule version to compile the new stuff in. I've typically only been doing it when I actually add something new to the UI side.

Edit:

I pushed code for handling a lot of Demon's Souls PS5 textures tonight and I'll be testing that and finishing it off hopefully tomorrow. A lot of concepts look like they'll carry over so I'm hoping that'll be the case. I'm looking to be thorough on this as I can manage.

Edited by Shadowth117

ok, I have done some checks and batch conversions with the new version.
All looks good for the models and textures I have checked.

Textures batch converted using Rawtex and the attached script.
Formats are mostly consistent.

Batch conversion and upload to archive is done, but I suspect there will be some textures manually reconverted in the future.

Screenshot 2024-04-24 202250.png

SotC PS4 texture convert.zip

Edited by 09williamsad

Theres some awesome work here, I've been hoping to get the files from this game for ages, but similar to what was said earlier, nobody else managed to crack it, or wasn't really interested enough in the format to want to input all the time it might take to get the files out.

If I've understood the thread correctly, roughly 100% of models are supported, and the majority of textures (bar a few), which is seriously cool.