Crimson Skies: High Road to Revenge (DirectX *.x)

For the Zeppelin: the uvs look like in the picture.

This should be

rapi.rpgBindUV1Buffer(VertBuff, noesis.RPGEODATA_SHORT, 32, 16)

in Noesis. hmm, on my old PC it works...

2003-CH_Boss_zep-uvs.png

Edited by shak-otay
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Durik256 said:

try it: fmt_CrimsonSkies_X.py

*(this opens all the samples that are in the topic. send those that give an error.)

quickly ran through everything I've extracted so far. All looks good, I'm pretty sure submeshes are in correct places for a lot of the models now (with exception of landing gear on devastator - unless that's how it actually is). So it looks like the only real issues left relate to material mapping/uvs? there's a few odd 'fireballs.x' meshes but probably just meant to be animated

image.thumb.png.d1f073caf74d2efa8e7f797427703e67.png

image.thumb.png.7a7a9ed96dce91fe8fbd72e184e2fe61.png

image.png.cfb088abfc9192f85e926d96fc27a7a4.png

image.png

there's also a few oddly positioned meshes still, but could just be how they were actually modelled or set up

image.png.affce2f40b93ee1e03f2f7041357ad82.png

here's a reference for the above (sh_boss_zep), you can ignore the interior hole thingy since there are different models for that, just mainly the top cone bit

image.thumb.png.d39218c37420d2f0e2f9d145e9acd6d8.png

image.thumb.png.7fa727422ef94e8e77a30b68195fe923.png

image.thumb.png.33c0304a779551929f2787e3b245416c.png

i'll send these over just in case there's something actually wrong with them!

If you want any more samples do let me know 🙂 and hope the image spam isn't too annoying 😅

sh_boss_zep.7z

Edited by notameowcelot

oh forgot to ask! is there any sort of case to deal with .x's that carry extensions with the file name in them? or would I just have to rename 'em all? since there seems to be separate parts for them, so i'd have to figure out what to do there

bruh.png.306e4d3a813945143c85e5df4bfadff9.png

21 minutes ago, notameowcelot said:

there's also a few oddly positioned meshes still, but could just be how they were actually modelled or set up

fix it

the problem was that the bones were multiplying after the mesh was created..

Без имени-1.png

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

a quick investigation using SS_boss_zep.x - i realised that the game may be blending multiple textures together - but the UV sets aren't aligned correctly when I try to scale them up, and these parts are separate submeshes as well. is it possible that models can have 2 uv sets by any chance? or is this some other issue?

image.png.db80d5dac493ddd688349f1a24500d08.png

image.png.4cdf8c4278d9a11438dbee5d3b6334ce.png

image.png.af8946a71f8025bc7dea86c08ffda708.png here's how the part with the logo's uvs look when unscaled by default after importing

Final Boss - Copy.7z

Edited by notameowcelot

Posted (edited)

yeah...definitely some odd UV issues (2003) going on from my investigations. UVs in some models seem to get clipped and end up in weird places, or straight up look wonky when converted from .x. plus the fact I have to manually scale each mesh's uvs up to try roughly match how they look ingame for some reason

this is specifically pertaining to zep_pandora.x. i think i've already sent it in past uploads - but if you can't find it, let me know and I can send it.

unfortunately my max total size for uploads/attachments is 80kb for some reason, so had to resort to Imgur for sharing these pics:

YWzwy5h.pngingame

PGVmYZc.pngBlender

Z3p0vDV.pngUV sheet, scaled roughly

Any idea what's going on here and how to fix? Would be greatly appreciated! been trying to mess with the UV part of the .x plugin but can't nail it down at all, so hoping someone else can figure it out!

cheers 🙂 

Edited by notameowcelot

as a side note as well, I've been trying to figure out how to retrieve the original materials and their names..but no clue where they're stored, if they're even in the .x file... @shak-otay@Durik256did you notice anything that could be those when you were messing with the 2003 files? if not I might have to dig deeper

checking in here! haven't been able to do much progress, outside of trying to learn more about the .bin format these models are usually sourced from. hoping someone here's figured out the uv issues by any chance?

3 hours ago, notameowcelot said:

as a side note as well, I've been trying to figure out how to retrieve the original materials and their names..but no clue where they're stored

If you mean which texture is assigned to the model then it's stored right before vertices start.

1 hour ago, h3x3r said:

If you mean which texture is assigned to the model then it's stored right before vertices start.

not quite no - 2001 .x models (and the 2003 default.x found in default.zip) has the names for materials listed - but aren't present in 2003 .x models from my understanding.

1 hour ago, shak-otay said:

@notameowcelot: this is the sub mesh for the logo. You might try adjust the vt values (using excel or something) until they fit the texture.

ss_boss_zep_Logo.zip 4.29 kB · 2 downloads

will give this a shot, cheers!

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, h3x3r said:

I think I found UV Scale value. Need more testing...uvs.thumb.jpg.4f94e75c8eb238651228c848ba6ed703.jpg

Well it looks like in engine...

Awesome! That looks to be it for sure 🙂 was trying to figure out this issue for a while now. How's the UV scaling work?

Edited by notameowcelot

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, h3x3r said:

How's the UV scaling work?

U * UVScale
-V * UVScale

Maybe there are also position values, but they are too small to affect anything

where is UVScale determined in this instance? also, did you notice if there was any secondary uv sets by any chance? that's something I'm still not sure how it works, unless this fixes that as well

attempts to figure it out myself are not going well... XD

Screenshot 2024-05-04 010037.jpg

Edited by notameowcelot

Posted (edited)

Scaling in (older) blender behaves a little bit strange. And it would be required to have different ratios for x and y. If you scale the tga file in y-axis (outside blender), save it and load it into blender the displayed texture on the mesh doesn't change. Very odd...

In newer blender (v3.x) it seems to work "perfectly" because you can change the ratios for x and y independently.

zep_logo_scaling.png

logo_ok.png

Boss_zep_logo.png

Edited by shak-otay