Help, extract menu.hog from 25 to life

ZARF
Go to solution Solved by Thief1987,

Hello, I wanted to extract the menu.hog file from the game 25 to life, I have two scripts that work for that game but with the menu.hog it does not work it throws an error, with the other .hog files they work correctly but with the menu.hog it does not I hope someone can help me, thank you, file link

https://drive.google.com/file/d/12IvcqrTM9D_yey0Zsywz5oSOHkIPWJv5/view?usp=drivesdk

25 to life bms.zip

3 hours ago, Thief1987 said:

Put it in the folder with the menu.hog file and launch, I didn't make functionality for unpacking regular hog archives, I think you don't need it anyway.

25tolifeDecrypt.rar 1.19 MB · 2 downloads

Thank you very much, but it doesn't work for me, I run it together with the menu.hog file and a cmd window opens and instantly closes and nothing else happens

CMD.png

12 hours ago, Thief1987 said:

Strange, it works for me with your file

spacer.png

Also re-download tool from my original post as I fixed one thing there, though it should have worked and without this fix

Thank you but it still doesn't work, I don't know what I'm doing wrong, maybe it's because of my version of Windows or lack of a plugin, really what I want to do is extract the menu.hog file to see what it has inside, I want to translate this game to another language in its xbox original version, many of the text strings are inside a file called default.xbe and I have no problem there but there are more strings that are not in the default and I don't know where they are, I have checked all the game files and I just need to check that menu.hog. I suspect that it contains text strings that's why I want to see what's inside. You tell me that you were able to extract it into a folder. Can't you shareme that folder with the extracted files, please? thank you

I don't know how it is in the Xbox version, but on PC, as I said earlier, the content of this archive is unpacked in the "data" folder, so I'm not sure what even the purpose of this archive if it's just duplicates unpacked resources. 

Anyway this is the extracted menu.hog which you provided. it's basically the same as in the PC version, the only difference is that it has EULA on 5(EFIGS) languages instead of only english in PC version.

Edited by Thief1987

2 hours ago, Thief1987 said:

I don't know how it is in the Xbox version, but on PC, as I said earlier, the content of this archive is unpacked in the "data" folder, so I'm not sure what even the purpose of this archive if it's just duplicates unpacked resources. 

Anyway this is the extracted menu.hog which you provided. it's basically the same as in the PC version, the only difference is that it has EULA on 5(EFIGS) languages instead of only english in PC version.

menu.rar 1.3 MB · 1 download

Thanks, I already checked and it is very interesting that there is a folder with the name LANG and inside there are .bin files for 5 different languages but they are all in English lol, I opened them with a hexadecimal editor and they are all the same, so I have another question and I promise not to bother you anymore, is it possible to repackage the menu.hog? I have the idea of editing those .bin files and putting them back into the menu.hog but I don't know if it is possible, with quickbms I can pack and unpack the other .hog files but with the menu.hog I can't

5 minutes ago, ZARF said:

Thanks, I already checked and it is very interesting that there is a folder with the name LANG and inside there are .bin files for 5 different languages but they are all in English lol, I opened them with a hexadecimal editor and they are all the same, so I have another question and I promise not to bother you anymore, is it possible to repackage the menu.hog? I have the idea of editing those .bin files and putting them back into the menu.hog but I don't know if it is possible, with quickbms I can pack and unpack the other .hog files but with the menu.hog I can't

Well, I need to look if I can encrypt data back, but I definitely can make a tool to pack files in the archive without encryption

1 hour ago, Thief1987 said:

Well, I need to look if I can encrypt data back, but I definitely can make a tool to pack files in the archive without encryption

thanks for all that help, would encryption be necessary? or can a menu.hog be created without encryption? I don't know if you can try importing these files, obviously it is so that the originals can be replaced

LANG.zip

Yeah seems like I can encrypt data back, now I need to write packing functionality for the tool so it maybe will take 1-2 days. For now try this archive, I encrypted and put your modified ENGLISH.BIN file manually in hex editor, I'm wonder will it work.

Edited by Thief1987

1 hour ago, Thief1987 said:

Yeah seems like I can encrypt data back, now I need to write packing functionality for the tool so it maybe will take 1-2 days. For now try this archive, I encrypted and put your modified ENGLISH.BIN file manually in hex editor, I'm wonder will it work.

menu.rar 3.23 MB · 1 download

The modified menu.hog did not work, the game stays on the loading screen, but if you can make the tool able to insert files we could test if it works, take the time you need for this, thank you very much for the help

Seems like I found what's the problem, there is CRC check function in place which preventing files from modification, on PC game is crashing when you modify even a single byte in archive's files. I found it in PC's exe and it will be needed to reverse it and recalculate CRC for modified files and put the new one in the archive's TOC. On PC I can just disable this check by an exe modification, but as you are working with XBOX source this won't work.

Edited by Thief1987

27 minutes ago, Thief1987 said:

Seems like I found what's the problem, there is CRC check function in place which preventing files from modification, on PC game is crashing when you modify even a single byte in archive's files. I found it in PC's exe and it will be needed to reverse it and recalculate CRC for modified files and put the new one in the archive's TOC. On PC I can just disable this check by an exe modification, but as you are working with XBOX source this won't work.

I understand, does that mean that nothing else can be done? In the PC version there is the .exe executable and in Xbox there is the .xbe, I don't know if you can manipulate the .xbe as you do with the .exe to disable that verification?

3 hours ago, ZARF said:

I understand, does that mean that nothing else can be done? In the PC version there is the .exe executable and in Xbox there is the .xbe, I don't know if you can manipulate the .xbe as you do with the .exe to disable that verification?

We can recalculate this CRC as I said, it's just that I need to reverse CRC function from assembler and program it, I just said that patching exe would have been easier, well I already did it 😄  

Edited by Thief1987

We can just recalculate this CRC as I said, it's just that I need to reverse CRC function from assembler and program it, I just said that modifying exe would have been easier, well I already did it 😄  

This is the executable in the original Xbox, it is an .xbe file, it is the equivalent of an .exe on PC, but even so I suppose that the same cannot be done to recalculate the crc and reverse it since it cannot be manipulated the same as an .exe, I have already used disassemblers like ida or ghidra but my knowledge and skills are very limited, will it be possible to do something with that .xbe? If it can't be done, then that's as far as we've gotten, there's no more we can do.

default.zip

Well, you can try it, though I'm not that good at reverse to do it on a static code without debugging.

CRC of the archive's files are stored in the TOC so there is no need to manipulate executable, just to write new CRC in the TOC if needed and that's all. I found CRC function in Xbox executable and it's identical to PC, so there won't be any problem with CRC update if patching way won't work.

Edited by Thief1987

47 minutes ago, Thief1987 said:

Well, you can try it, though I'm not that good at reverse to do it on a static code without debugging.

CRC of the archive's files are stored in the TOC so there is no need to manipulate executable, just to write new CRC in the TOC if needed and that's all. I found CRC function in Xbox executable and it's identical to PC, so there won't be any problem with CRC update if patching way won't work.

default.rar 1.61 MB · 1 download

friend you are a genius, if it worked it was no longer on the loading screen and the string that I edited as a test appeared in the english.bin, then if it is possible to edit the menu.hog, thanks for the crc information, now The question is how do I do it? lol, I don't want to bother you so much with this so I don't know if you can explain to me how to insert the english.bin in the menu.hog and how to identify the CRC in the TOC?

IMG_20240407_204433.jpg.jpg

19 hours ago, ZARF said:

friend you are a genius, if it worked it was no longer on the loading screen and the string that I edited as a test appeared in the english.bin, then if it is possible to edit the menu.hog, thanks for the crc information, now The question is how do I do it? lol, I don't want to bother you so much with this so I don't know if you can explain to me how to insert the english.bin in the menu.hog and how to identify the CRC in the TOC?

IMG_20240407_204433.jpg.jpg

You don't need it, packer will calculate CRC. Also TOC in the menu.hog is encrypted as well, so it's not like you can edit it manually anyway. 

I finished with CRC function by the way, so packing functionality is the last thing I need to do.

Edited by Thief1987

2 hours ago, Thief1987 said:

You don't need it, packer will calculate CRC. Also TOC in the menu.hog is encrypted as well, so it's not like you can edit it manually anyway. 

I finished with CRC function by the way, so packing functionality is the last thing I need to do.

ok thanks, then I'll keep an eye on it

Seems like it's ready, I need to finish a couple of small things but mostly it's done. Try this archive, I packed here your modified ENGLISH.BIN. Try it with the original non-patched executable, to be sure that CRC calculations are correct.

menu.rar

Seems like it's ready, I need to finish a couple of small things but mostly it's done. Try this archive, I packed here your modified ENGLISH.BIN. Try it with the original non-patched executable, to be sure that CRC calculations are correct.

menu.rar 3.28 MB · 2 downloads

works perfect, I tried it with the original executable

Well, hope it will work for you now

Usage:
    unpack: -u archive_name
    repack: -r archive_name -enc <- (optional flag, if you want to encrypt data in the archive)

this is how to use it, when repacking it will create new archive with added "_new" in the end of the name (Ex. menu.hog_new). I made encryption as an option, but it seems work fine and without it, and conversely non-encrypted by default archives like main.hog working fine when being repacked with encryption.

Edited by Thief1987

6 hours ago, Thief1987 said:

Well, hope it will work for you now

Usage:
    unpack: -u archive_name
    repack: -r archive_name -enc <- (optional flag, if you want to encrypt data in the archive)

this is how to use it, when repacking it will create new archive with added "_new" in the end of the name (Ex. menu.hog_new). I made encryption as an option, but it seems work fine and without it, and conversely non-encrypted by default archives like main.hog working fine when being repacked with encryption.

tolife.rar 1.24 MB · 2 downloads

thanks friend but it doesn't work for me, the program closes instantly, I have tried with cmd and powershell, but I am using windows 7 I will use windows 10 if I have better luck