[Switch] Tengoku Struggle -strayside- RTEX texture format

Go to solution Solved by BloodRaynare,

The character sprites in the Switch game Tengoku Struggle -strayside- are in a format called rtex that I haven't been able to find any information about.

Would anyone be able to help with this format? I zipped up one directory for one sprite from the game.

rin_ps1_unif_up.zip

Edited by Riesz

• Riesz changed the title to [Switch] Tengoku Struggle -strayside- RTEX texture format

I have the Noesis python plugin that I wrote for this format (A friend asked me to rip the images of some otome game on Switch too).

tex_RTEX.py

Screenshot2024-04-08140724.thumb.png.2d2ddd3b9e14175dce020350b505c46e.png
Put the py script to <Noesis folder>\plugins\python
Note: Image width/height parsing might be incorrect so do report if the images are looking weird.

Edited by BloodRaynare
script V2
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
On 4/8/2024 at 2:03 AM, BloodRaynare said:

I have the Noesis python plugin that I wrote for this format (A friend asked me to rip the images of some otome game on Switch too).

tex_RTEX.py

Screenshot2024-04-08140724.thumb.png.2d2ddd3b9e14175dce020350b505c46e.png
Put the py script to <Noesis folder>\plugins\python
Note: Image width/height parsing might be incorrect so do report if the images are looking weird.

I got some time to test it a bit more but it seems like the colours are slightly off with this plugin. I was able to find an old BMS script for rtex that dumps the textures to raw then I opened the raw in Irfanview. However the image transparency doesn't seem to be preserved, either when the bms dumps to raw or when opening in Irfanview - I'm not sure which step is stripping the transparency. The transparency is preserved when using the Noesis plugin.

BMS script for rtex: rtex bms script.zip

Original game files: enm_ps1_norm_bon1_up.zip

Here are the differences.

Noesis:

base_image.thumb.png.4569314665703cb8aadaef7d4c2515db.png

BMS script to raw:

base_image_2048x1304x32.thumb.png.4bca6522911bee597dac3c24692e0f00.png

Edited by Riesz

• Solution
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Riesz said:

I got some time to test it a bit more but it seems like the colours are slightly off with this plugin. I was able to find an old BMS script for rtex that dumps the textures to raw then I opened the raw in Irfanview. However the image transparency doesn't seem to be preserved, either when the bms dumps to raw or when opening in Irfanview - I'm not sure which step is stripping the transparency. The transparency is preserved when using the Noesis plugin.

BMS script for rtex: rtex bms script.zip

Original game files: enm_ps1_norm_bon1_up.zip

Here are the differences.

Noesis:

base_image.thumb.png.4569314665703cb8aadaef7d4c2515db.png

BMS script to raw:

base_image_2048x1304x32.thumb.png.4bca6522911bee597dac3c24692e0f00.png

Check the newer version of the script on the previous post. There's a typo on color mapping apparently (RBGA or BRGA instead of RGBA).

Edited by BloodRaynare
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, BloodRaynare said:

Check the newer version of the script on the previous post. There's a typo on color mapping apparently (RBGA or BRGA instead of RGBA).

Thank you! It works perfectly now!

Screenshot2024-04-10105532.thumb.jpg.cdcc76d51a161b3e71c436fb7efc9d27.jpg

I just want to post a little update that this script also works with rtex from Cupid Parasite and Jakou no Lyla so thank you again!

17 hours ago, BloodRaynare said:

Posted (edited)

Here's a little modification to the script that hopefully fixes a few rendering errors I encountered with a few rtex images for ui elements, screen transitions, etc. Some of the images were fully alpha so they weren't displaying properly before.

tex_RTEX_BABA.py

Edited by Riesz
  • Like 1