Dead to Rights 2 DFF

Briggs24

Hello all,

I hope this is right forum. I've been trying to get the models from an old PS2 game called Dead to Rights 2 for the ps2.  I've done alot of digging around to find the models and have okayish success. Here some info I've found during my search to get these models. 

What I know is the game was made using I believe the last version of Renderware 3.7. I do know it was 3.7 for sure. The textures are baked into the model. I think that's the correct word. As in the model itself contains the textures along with it, and not in a separate file.

Using a couple of tools, I was somewhat successful in opening the models so, Im hoping thats some clue it can be done. The first tool I used is Zmodeler2. It has a DFF import for GTA games, and while it did it import the DFF im using, it had a few errors, but the model did successfully load.

The second tool I used is called "RW Anayalyze" which lets you look at the file structure I believe of DFF models. Using a random file from GTA San Andreas for comparison,  I can there is extra unknown data within the Dead To Rights model. By removing this unknown data from the first part of the file, I managed to successfully import the model into 3ds max, albeit with all black textures using a GTA import script.

For better context this is the data from GTA Arrow DFF:

GTAARROW.thumb.png.5a47414452c2e22b510ace0167decde4.png

Now here's a file from Dead to Rights 2 DFF:

BarrelUnedited.thumb.png.4c7cf5bf372bc9bf09441fdb1ca211e3.png

Now here is the same file but with "Unknown", "Platform independent Texture Dictionary", and "Clunk Group Start" removed:

BarrelEdited.thumb.png.d41c23f7ea5f55f5430e8cf7ba4d5da0.png

When I do this, I can import the DFF with the GTA script into 3ds max with all black textures. When it's in it's unedited form I cannot.

So, I'm very amateur when it comes to stuff, but from what I can tell the models in question can be successfully opened. I'm just not good when it comes to hex editing. If anyone can help in thier spare time, it would be greatly appreciated. Here is the file in the pictures above attached.

GTA ARROW.png

do_barrel.zip

Edited by Briggs24

If you want only extract/convert model/textures you'll be better with xbox version.

EDIz: Upss.. There is also PC version. So this is PC?

Edited by h3x3r

4 hours ago, h3x3r said:

If you want only extract/convert model/textures you'll be better with xbox version.

EDIz: Upss.. There is also PC version. So this is PC?

Yes, my bad. I meant to put PC version. Not console.

How did you unpack GAME.PAK? I would like to see more samples so i can compare. Anyway texture is 8 bit with palette.

bar.jpg.fcc886177396487f0e856f72f4e3d34b.jpg

EDiT: Nvm i wrote it myself. Ok this one should unpack it right. First unpack GAME.PAK and then unpacked *.pak. Trying to figure out how to merge it into one script...

EDiT: Now i figured it out... There were 2 sizes variable. Anyway this is for xbox version. I just figured that pc is different.

#####################################
#	  Dead to Rights 2 - *.PAK	    #
get BaseFileName basename

getdstring Dummy 0x8
get TableOffset uint32
get Archs uint32

goto TableOffset

for i = 0 < Archs
	get ArchName line
	get ArchOffset uint32
	get ArchSize uint32
	getdstring Dummy 0x4
	savepos Tmp
	goto ArchOffset

getdstring Dummy 0xC
	get Files uint32	
	for j = 0 < Files
		get FileName line
		get Offset uint32
		get Size uint32
		get Size1 uint32
		xmath Offset "ArchOffset + Offset"
		string Name p= "%s/%s/%s" BaseFileName ArchName FileName
		if Size1 == 0
			log Name Offset Size
		else
			log Name Offset Size1
		endif
	next j
	goto Tmp
next i

Edited by h3x3r

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, h3x3r said:

How did you unpack GAME.PAK? I would like to see more samples so i can compare. Anyway texture is 8 bit with palette.

bar.jpg.fcc886177396487f0e856f72f4e3d34b.jpg

EDiT: Nvm i wrote it myself. Ok this one should unpack it right. First unpack GAME.PAK and then unpacked *.pak. Trying to figure out how to merge it into one script...

EDiT: Now i figured it out... There were 2 sizes variable. Anyway this is for xbox version. I just figured that pc is different.

#	  Dead to Rights 2 - *.PAK	    #
get BaseFileName basename

getdstring Dummy 0x8
get TableOffset uint32
get Archs uint32

goto TableOffset

for i = 0 < Archs
	get ArchName line
	get ArchOffset uint32
	get ArchSize uint32
	getdstring Dummy 0x4
	savepos Tmp
	goto ArchOffset

getdstring Dummy 0xC
	get Files uint32	
	for j = 0 < Files
		get FileName line
		get Offset uint32
		get Size uint32
		get Size1 uint32
		xmath Offset "ArchOffset + Offset"
		string Name p= "%s/%s/%s" BaseFileName ArchName FileName
		if Size1 == 0
			log Name Offset Size
		else
			log Name Offset Size1
		endif
	next j
	goto Tmp
next i

Wow, thanks. Sorry. I used a program called Watto Game Extractor. Is that script for the game pak or dff? DId you need more files? I appreciate helping me to figure it out. Sorry I didnt upload more. I was trying to obey the size limit of the forum.

Edited by Briggs24

3 hours ago, h3x3r said:

Script is for PAK but xbox version. Still can't figure out pc compression...

Hmmm...I can try and share the script I used for the PC version that worked