Coraline (wii) .wii file format

Rypie109
Go to solution Solved by Durik256,

Hello, for over 180 days now I have been tirelessly working to extract the contents of the .wii format used in the Coraline game. Some files contain mesh, some conatain textures, and some contain audio. There is a certain folder structure, based on each level/area used in game. The folders are labeled with L_(prefix for level here). If anyone can contribute, or even be so kind as to provide a bms script, I would be eternally grateful.

l_d1nw.zip

• 1 month later...

Hi! Just fyi, seems like the vaps is tied to the dev, Papaya Studio. The Coraline game was made by them, and I also have Toy Story Mania which happens to use .wii files as well. I've uploaded some (non-fsb) .wii files from that game for a bit of variety.

s_dino.zip

On 6/28/2024 at 6:15 PM, shak-otay said:

Not sure if it's supposed to look like so. Might be animation frames:

a_d1nw.wii

The _d file 100% has characters in it, I also had a hunch that the a_ file had animation in it.

On 6/27/2024 at 4:23 AM, applecuckoo said:

Hi! Just fyi, seems like the vaps is tied to the dev, Papaya Studio. The Coraline game was made by them, and I also have Toy Story Mania which happens to use .wii files as well. I've uploaded some (non-fsb) .wii files from that game for a bit of variety.

s_dino.zip 1.78 MB · 5 downloads

Yeah, I have already tried comparing the toy story mania + cartoon network punchtime files, as im aware they are from papaya

On 6/28/2024 at 6:15 PM, shak-otay said:

Not sure if it's supposed to look like so. Might be animation frames:

a_d1nw.wii

Wait, how did you open that in blender?

Ive seen on an archived xentax thread about some of the same files (from ben 10 and cartoon network) that vaps are each chunk of data, and they recommend splitting at each vaps

WOW! I could get vertices usually, but never got faces working! I use model researcher, so I am not sure if its different, but what Type, and Format was used for faces? Also, I have a reasonable suspicion that the mesh has sub-meshes, based off when I use ninja ripper. I have had the exact model that you extracted, by using an $80 propriatary tool, but that never had segments either, and I am still coordinating with the devs.

Do you mind also telling me the pattern? It could be useful for modelresearcher. Thanks for helping!!!

This is interesting... Similar to the exports unarchtool did. Take wybie for example. Yours: (image 1) unarch: (image 2)image.thumb.png.d715f6af286b423d72f7a435d1dfd027.pngimage.png.d8591b3c3c2b23c1cecd5d5a8c976802.png

This is incredible, thank you a ton! I have 1 last question though, what about mesh segments?

That's awesome! Do the models come with the bones as well ? I'm not seeing them in the screenshots so unsure. (I doubt it's the spikey things going out of his head)

Posted (edited)

No, they dont. I have seen from one program (metanoia on github) opens L_d1nw.wii and displays coralines bones, the reason it can open it is because another game shares the format, the rest of the files from coraline do not work, and throw an error. Maybe Durik256 can take a look at the script for metanoia and build off of that. heres the script for the game that sshares the format: https://github.com/Ploaj/Metanoia/blob/master/Metanoia/Formats/Misc/PTE.cs Edit: typo

Edited by Rypie109
  • Like 1

I may be wrong but sounds to me like NinjaRipper would do the same job but quicker since those tools don't extract the bones ? I haven't tried anything with the game yet but I wanted to rip the models and the stages. I hope someone does come up with a script that can take the bones though! Rigging the meshes is one thing but would be nice to have the facial bones.

34 minutes ago, Dollie said:

I may be wrong but sounds to me like NinjaRipper would do the same job but quicker since those tools don't extract the bones ? I haven't tried anything with the game yet but I wanted to rip the models and the stages. I hope someone does come up with a script that can take the bones though! Rigging the meshes is one thing but would be nice to have the facial bones.

Ninja ripper was the first thing I tried, it got the mesh segments, and correct uvs, AND textures, BUT, no t-pose. This tool extracts t-pose, 1 solid mesh, no correct uvs, and no texture (but im not worried about this exporting textures tho) I have never been a facial bones kinda animator, but that would be cool to have!

I extracted some models from Wii files years ago but I used Model Researcher. It was hard to find each model because there are A LOT of meshes, so I just extracted like 3 or 4 including this unused model, it is like one of those prototype models from the movie. On the left is that unused model, the other images are from a "making of" video and a statue(Info about that statue here

By the way, Durik's script reads UV's without problem, you just need to detach specific parts of the model according to textures.

coraline.png

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Rypie109 said:

This is interesting... Similar to the exports unarchtool did. Take wybie for example. Yours: (image 1) unarch: (image 2)

oh, do you have a tool for this? I feel like I wasted my time.

i update plugin fmt_wii.py

it now splits the meshes into submeshes. all faces are loaded correctly.

*(This will also unpack any Wii File, but I didn’t parse the rest, so I check if it contains meshes by ending the file name with “*_d”)

-1.png.8b5e753ca0bf2603faa5e756d1695a86.png

11 hours ago, Rypie109 said:

Also doesnt seem to have the same uv maps to, but that is expected.

I don’t quite understand what you mean, because the models contain Normals and UVs

10 hours ago, Dollie said:

I think your expectations are too high. since there is a forum to help you do it yourself, and not for someone to do all the work for you 😉

Edited by Durik256
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Durik256 said:

oh, do you have a tool for this? I feel like I wasted my time.

i update plugin fmt_wii.py

it now splits the meshes into submeshes. all faces are loaded correctly.

*(This will also unpack any Wii File, but I didn’t parse the rest, so I check if it contains meshes by ending the file name with “*_d”)

-1.png.8b5e753ca0bf2603faa5e756d1695a86.png

I don’t quite understand what you mean, because the models contain Normals and UVs

I think your expectations are too high. since there is a forum to help you do it yourself, and not for someone to do all the work for you 😉

The tool that I was refering to is a crappy one that does not do a great job at all of getting mesh, it exports badly, and in a (that tool only) propriatary format, that is only readable by theyre sub-tool, that crashes every 2 minutes. so, absolutely horendous for viewing models and getting them, along with bad uvs. I thought the uvs were bad on your tool, because I needed mesh segments inorder to load textures, and I am bad with manual seperation. Absolutely salute you on this, this is FANTAS-TONASHING (quote from game)

3 hours ago, roocker666 said:

I extracted some models from Wii files years ago but I used Model Researcher. It was hard to find each model because there are A LOT of meshes, so I just extracted like 3 or 4 including this unused model, it is like one of those prototype models from the movie. On the left is that unused model, the other images are from a "making of" video and a statue(Info about that statue here

By the way, Durik's script reads UV's without problem, you just need to detach specific parts of the model according to textures.

coraline.png

WOW. I knew the game was beeing made in 2008 (when the movie was still in production) And I knew the beldam model used her old concept design, but I never knew that this model was unused! Do you mind sending it? I have no clue how you extracted the textures for it.

2 hours ago, Durik256 said:

Not sure how I'm 'expecting someone to do all the work for me', all I said was I hope someone can make a tool to get the game bones. Nothing insane to ask since a lot of tools do that for different games and I've ripped game models that a lot of people have issues doing even to this day. Again, just because you have the tools doesn't mean the process is any easy either. So none of it is having 'someone else do the work for you'.