[Zeebo] Crash Bandicoot Nitro Kart 3D ( .vfs files )

Posted (edited)

I'm wanting to make some modifications to the Crash Nitro Kart 3D game for Zeebo. (it was also released for iOS, N.Gage 2.0 and Symbiam)

But everything I looked for related to .vfs files didn't work, I read on a forum about a guy who managed to extract the data.vfs with a script in QuickBMS, I managed to find one from Porlabit Crash Nitro Kart 2 but it didn't work with Nitro Kart 1 so I ended up running out of options.

Also, after extracting the file, is it possible to compress it again so that the game can work with the new modified file?

[EDIT]

Kurabupengin sent me the script to extract the data.vfs and it worked without problems:

image.thumb.png.52daee2fa358c5b681d5099c0a56486f.png

But the problem I'm facing now is that I didn't get any way to compress it again.

So even if I can change these files I won't be able to turn them into a new "data.vfs" for the game to read.

Can anyone help me with this ?

data.vfs.zip

QuickBMS Script + data.vfs.zip

Edited by moonsarito1

Considering the files you extracted are because you decompressed them from an archive, its really hard to re-compress that data into the formats read in game. Its most likely not direct extracting of .png files, its most likely a different format that was inside the .vfs file. Ill try to find a compression tool for you on xentax or smtn.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Rypie109 said:

Considering the files you extracted are because you decompressed them from an archive, its really hard to re-compress that data into the formats read in game. Its most likely not direct extracting of .png files, its most likely a different format that was inside the .vfs file. Ill try to find a compression tool for you on xentax or smtn.

Can you also send me the bms file you used? It seems like the bms attached is the one for nitro kart 2. I want to try to see how the data is decompressed, which will help me with recompression.

Edited by Rypie109
Realised something
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Rypie109 said:

Can you also send me the bms file you used? It seems like the bms attached is the one for nitro kart 2. I want to try to see how the data is decompressed, which will help me with recompression.

Hello, I'm at work right now so I can't upload the extracted file folder right now, but the data.vfs I posted I took directly from the game files on Zeebo.

The BMS Script that I used to extract the data.vfs was the one I made available above that Kurabupengin had sent me (I think it's the same one from Crash Nitro Kart 2, I'm not sure but it worked with Zeebo's Crash Bandicoot Nitro Kart 1), keep in mind you'll need func_getTYPE.bms for the crash.bms script to work, It needs to be in the same folder as the crash.bms script too.

12 hours ago, Rypie109 said:

Here is the extracted data.vfs and all the files I used:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/bjc5bmvexvro2gl/data.vfs_extracted_and_bms_script.zip/file