Alan Wake 2

michalss

Has anyone found a tool that can rip the prop/environment models from the game with UVs? The 3DSMax script is cool and all but it can only rip a set amount of models (and all of them are characters). NinjaRipper has yet to add support for UV ripping for AL2 as well.

11 hours ago, Contro said:

Has anyone found a tool that can rip the prop/environment models from the game with UVs? The 3DSMax script is cool and all but it can only rip a set amount of models (and all of them are characters). NinjaRipper has yet to add support for UV ripping for AL2 as well.

Ya, I second that! By looking into the 3dsMax script, erik has set different offset parameters for each chars and no object is listed. That's why we can't get the objects loaded. I really want to get Alan's lamp😔

1 hour ago, DKDave said:

The binfbx format is very complicated, so a proper script may never be written.  I've manager to get a few meshes by trial and error, but that's probably the best for now until the format is fully analysed

Pretty awesome enough! I guess the .binfbx from Alan Wake 2 is far more different and complicated than the one from Control, right?😂

And also I can't find the corresponding textures nor the material for Casey's earpiece, which has been confusing me for a time.

Edited by Kanbara

8 hours ago, Kanbara said:

Pretty awesome enough! I guess the .binfbx from Alan Wake 2 is far more different and complicated than the one from Control, right?😂

And also I can't find the corresponding textures nor the material for Casey's earpiece, which has been confusing me for a time.

Yeah, there's a lot more to it than Control, and a lot of it doesn't make sense, but I'll keep looking at it and it might make sense eventually.  I can't find the earpiece texture either ...

• Like 2

I'm impressed with what people have gotten so far, that's for sure. I just want stuff like the typewriter and some of the weapons (...and possibly all of the writer's room props so I can recreate the scene in blender...but I digress.)

I remember seeing the earpiece texture in the files, didn't extract it though. I vividly remember the high fidelity Bluetooth logo on the side.

Edited by Contro

On 12/2/2023 at 11:52 PM, riverence said:

I know that it's been asked here before, but any possibility for a Blender script alongside the 3DS Max script? Blender's scripting language is just Python, it's completely free, and the workflow there is magnitudes easier to manage than 3DS' is. Plus, I'm poor.

@riverence
A Blender script? Had a few days off and this is what came out of it! The script is designed in such a way that it can be easily modified for future projects...😉
Big thanks to erik945 for the 3ds Max scripts and DKDave for important information about the structure of the files.
Happy New Year everyone!

Edit: File deleted. Please look for the last post of the search file.

Edited by Mike2023
  • Like 4

On 1/2/2024 at 4:32 AM, Mike2023 said:

@riverence
A Blender script? Had a few days off and this is what came out of it! The script is designed in such a way that it can be easily modified for future projects...😉
Big thanks to erik945 for the 3ds Max scripts and DKDave for important information about the structure of the files.
Happy New Year everyone!

blender_binfbx_loader_us.rar 2.91 kB · 11 downloads

hey hey! do you have a discord, or some regular method of communication? i modified the script to work as an import-export addon, as well as adding all the offsets for the files referenced in the maxscript but i'm getting some strange errors (i'm not super experienced with BPY :c)

23 minutes ago, riverence said:

do you have a discord

Genius idea, move the conversation and all the information away from the forum into your little walled garden to groom Mike in.
Just check the forums and use DMs if you need to, it's not that hard. Besides, if you want to ask him about Blender scripting you could do it right here. No such thing as a stupid question in a game research forum. I could use some crash course on Blender scripting myself, for instance.

3 minutes ago, ldvd said:

Genius idea, move the conversation and all the information away from the forum into your little walled garden to groom Mike in.
Just check the forums and use DMs if you need to, it's not that hard. Besides, if you want to ask him about Blender scripting you could do it right here. No such thing as a stupid question in a game research forum. I could use some crash course on Blender scripting myself, for instance.

if that's the case, i've got a binfbx addon working relatively well enough that builds upon Mike's work, but in the process of trying to convert it to an import-export addon it's giving me an error of 
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Users\infur\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\3.5\scripts\addons\io_scene_binfbx\__init__.py", line 50, in execute
    result=aw2_binfbx.main()
  File "C:\Users\infur\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\3.5\scripts\addons\io_scene_binfbx\aw2_binfbx.py", line 429, in main
    mesh_infos = read_mesh_data(file, table_offset)
  File "C:\Users\infur\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\3.5\scripts\addons\io_scene_binfbx\aw2_binfbx.py", line 290, in read_mesh_data
    lodId = read_long(file)
  File "C:\Users\infur\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\3.5\scripts\addons\io_scene_binfbx\aw2_binfbx.py", line 264, in read_long
    return struct.unpack('<I', file.read(4))[0]
struct.error: unpack requires a buffer of 4 bytes

not sure where to go from here or what i might have done wrong :<

io_scene_binfbx.zip

On 1/3/2024 at 2:22 AM, Crazy31139 said:

Hi, if someone be have problem finding character textures see on fandom name portrayedimage.thumb.png.e03f205aa68db0e50f1502dca50a7955.png

Oh, great! But can't see the picture you attached here.

• Thanks 1

On 1/3/2024 at 11:43 AM, riverence said:

if that's the case, i've got a binfbx addon working relatively well enough that builds upon Mike's work, but in the process of trying to convert it to an import-export addon it's giving me an error of 
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Users\infur\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\3.5\scripts\addons\io_scene_binfbx\__init__.py", line 50, in execute
    result=aw2_binfbx.main()
  File "C:\Users\infur\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\3.5\scripts\addons\io_scene_binfbx\aw2_binfbx.py", line 429, in main
    mesh_infos = read_mesh_data(file, table_offset)
  File "C:\Users\infur\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\3.5\scripts\addons\io_scene_binfbx\aw2_binfbx.py", line 290, in read_mesh_data
    lodId = read_long(file)
  File "C:\Users\infur\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\3.5\scripts\addons\io_scene_binfbx\aw2_binfbx.py", line 264, in read_long
    return struct.unpack('<I', file.read(4))[0]
struct.error: unpack requires a buffer of 4 bytes

not sure where to go from here or what i might have done wrong :<

io_scene_binfbx.zip 5.43 kB · 4 downloads

Got it! You'll find the option to import supported .binFBX files under File > Import > Alan Wake 2 Mesh (.binFBX). All due credit has been given under the Authors section in the addons menu of Blender. This script generally does the same thing as Mike's except:

1. you can install it as an addon and select meshes from a file explorer
2. imported meshes have smoothed faces, are rotated upright and placed on the "floor" of the viewport
3. support for every model the 3dsmax script supports

Some things it doesn't include (but hopefully will at some point if I can learn more about bpy and the file structure):

1. rigs/vertex groups

2. materials

Happy importing!

io_scene_binfbx.zip

• Thanks 5

14 hours ago, riverence said:

Got it! You'll find the option to import supported .binFBX files under File > Import > Alan Wake 2 Mesh (.binFBX). All due credit has been given under the Authors section in the addons menu of Blender. This script generally does the same thing as Mike's except:

2. imported meshes have smoothed faces, are rotated upright and placed on the "floor" of the viewport

Some things it doesn't include (but hopefully will at some point if I can learn more about bpy and the file structure):

1. rigs/vertex groups

2. materials

Happy importing!

io_scene_binfbx.zip 5.61 kB · 11 downloads

image.thumb.png.38ddbede77ac703cf662b5176539fb43.pngAmazing how fast it works to just get them loaded in like this!

All really needing now is just getting the rigs to work then it's perfect.
Really want to learn how to port other meshes (such as weapons, props, ect)using the script Mike2023 made further up but can't for the life of me figure out how people got the offsets, any help with that would be appreciated!

1 hour ago, Drluke said:

So I can only import characters now?I understand well?

so far, yes. i'm personally working on a universal solution to import all of the meshes without having to individually go through them but that's proving to be quite difficult

• Like 2

On 12/28/2023 at 6:11 PM, Contro said:

I'm impressed with what people have gotten so far, that's for sure. I just want stuff like the typewriter and some of the weapons (...and possibly all of the writer's room props so I can recreate the scene in blender...but I digress.)

I remember seeing the earpiece texture in the files, didn't extract it though. I vividly remember the high fidelity Bluetooth logo on the side.

found the earpiece texture lol. "base-generic-000/data_pc/textures/generic/body_objects/earpiece"

• Like 1

On 1/5/2024 at 3:12 AM, PumpkinHook said:

image.thumb.png.38ddbede77ac703cf662b5176539fb43.pngAmazing how fast it works to just get them loaded in like this!

All really needing now is just getting the rigs to work then it's perfect.
Really want to learn how to port other meshes (such as weapons, props, ect)using the script Mike2023 made further up but can't for the life of me figure out how people got the offsets, any help with that would be appreciated!

yeah, I've had some trouble with getting offsets manually as well. although it should be noted i'm a complete noob with reverse engineering, more experienced with just code but is there any pointers or things i should look for when it comes to the required offsets specifically?

This may be nothing, but back in June 2023, Remedy published a blogpost about migrating to an OpenUSD workflow when it comes to meshes specifically. With it, they open sourced the plugin code they used to convert Autodesk FBX to a new format, usdFBX. I don't have the time nor skill to analyze it and actually see if it's the same format as the binFBX in game. However, Alan Wake 2's FAQ does state that it's using the new OpenUSD content workflow. If this really is the format being used in game, this could possibly allow for much easier, more supported, and a highly polished import AS WELL AS exporting.

https://github.com/Remedy-Entertainment/usdFBX

edit; it's nothing lol no correlation to binfbx

Edited by riverence
fuck

On 1/4/2024 at 9:08 PM, riverence said:

1. rigs/vertex groups

2. materials

Happy importing!

io_scene_binfbx.zip 5.61 kB · 36 downloads

some model not load:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/y07khdsdof4gwcu/humans.rar/file

4 hours ago, DKDave said:

Only the model filenames specifically mentioned in the script will load as the offsets have been found manually.  Any others can be added using that method, although it's very time-consuming.

do you know how people got the offset for lod0? i can get the table offset reasonably reliably but for the life of me i absolutely cannot find any sort of patterns or similarities that could have been used for lod0 or even just any of the following lods

14 hours ago, riverence said:

do you know how people got the offset for lod0? i can get the table offset reasonably reliably but for the life of me i absolutely cannot find any sort of patterns or similarities that could have been used for lod0 or even just any of the following lods

The vertex data for LOD0 is near the end of the file.  If you look at the offsets for the ones in the script you should be able to find something similar for other files.

I've been trying to crack the format for a while but there's just so much stuff in there to work out, so nobody's done a proper script yet that can read all of the data properly.

11 hours ago, DKDave said:

The vertex data for LOD0 is near the end of the file.  If you look at the offsets for the ones in the script you should be able to find something similar for other files.

I've been trying to crack the format for a while but there's just so much stuff in there to work out, so nobody's done a proper script yet that can read all of the data properly.

figured it out 🙂 it also seems as if the vertex size is inconsistent between meshes, which is why i was having trouble importing them. was able to get alan's revolver and his lamp as wellimage.thumb.png.926b1eaf73851c426e1b444601b908a3.pngimage.thumb.png.912231038f3222fc73e0229840d4e20d.png

• Like 1